1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a surgeon

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jaska, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm at that age where by grades start to really affect my job choices later on and I need to start thinking about universities and what I'm gonna do in the future. So far I've only got a vague idea that I want to either do something to do with history or biology. History I'm good at, but biology I really enjoy but am not very good at. In New Zealand the last sex reassignment surgeon retired a few years ago so it is very difficult to get surgery here, almost all of them are done over seas. This pisses me off, but also being a surgeon is something that I'm actually quite keen on pursuing. Or at least something similar. I looked it up and researched it thoroughly and I don't think I'd be able to handle the extreme busyness of being a full blown surgeon. So I'm thinking, are there any similar jobs that I could do to help out trans people in the medical side of things. Or other careers I could think about that involve history or biology that would make a difference to improving life for trans people?
    I don't want to be just another guy delivering pizzas and cleaning windows...

#1 jaska, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. Irisviel

uh, endocrinologist, gynecologist? These are certainly the kinds of doctors we need to consult with (well, only half of us with the latter).

Psychology, sexuology, psychiatry as well. Only the last is medical, but those too are what trans people often need.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Biology is a very broad field, which gives you a lot of choice (although I'm not sure how many program choices you have in NZ).

A few ideas:
    *Biochemistry or molecular biology. Basically studying enzymes, chemicals, hormones etc and how they effect people, on an microscopic anatomical level. Perhaps you study how different hormones affect people.
    *Pharmacist.
    *Microbiology. This is becoming a field with a lot of potential, with Gene cloning and such.

To be honest, I'm a bio guy, but not so much a human/pred med type. But it looking at improving the lives of trans folks from a much bigger picture, gives you more options.

And if you don't mind me asking, what parts of biology are you not very good at?

4. Irisviel

Neurology is also an idea... you know, to find the gender in the brain. It must be somewhere inside! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the ideas guys, gives me a lot of things to look into. Uh, well, I'm better at the physical kind of things, like understanding how the body works and things like that. I'm not so good with the chemistry side of things and atoms and molecule kind of ideas. That's why I never took chemistry. I'm pretty good at dissections though. I'm also pretty good at stuff to do with genes and things, but I don't find it as interesting as things like human anatomy and understanding how the body works. Im also very bad at anything that involves a bit of physics or maths, especially algebra.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2016 at 12:07 PM ----------

I've also considered training to become an army medic. They pay to teach you and it's a lot of hands on, learning on the job and you don't have to get fantastic grades in school to get in. It would be good work experience, but unfortunately I havnt heard good things about trans people in the army...

#5 jaska, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2016