1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

genderfluid and i HATE my long hair

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by salad, Apr 22, 2016.

1. salad

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to do something with my hair that makes it look a lot less 'girly.' My issue is that my parents don't want me to get a pixie cut because they think I'll look like a boy. Any tips for longer hair (down to the breasts rn) or haircuts that are easier for styling to look less 'feminine'? Thank you :icon_redf

2. Irisviel

Maybe you could try something inspired by samurai warriors? Some of such styles involve long hair tied quite high which gives you a more agrrssive look.

3. Lipstick Leuger

Celtic warriors and THOR also had long hair, so I would just research some of those styles and dress more masculine.

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could always try to tie it up and hide it under a hat.

5. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Practically speaking, it's easier to come off as gender fluid if you have long hair, but if you really hate it, then try to convince your parents to let it be cut.

The opposite is happening for me now. I recently convinced my parents to let me grow out my hair. It used to be about half an inch long, but now it's about 5-6 inches long on average. Now I'm less scared that they'll force me to cut it, as I came out to them recently and they were accepting. If you haven't come out, I recommend that you do so as soon as you're comfortable with it.

I hope this helps. :icon_bigg

7. Delta

In my opinion, it depends on what other people perceive you as presently on whether longer or shorter hair makes you "look genderfluid." If you're AFAB like me, long hair isn't doing you any favors. Prepare to get uncomfortably ma'am-ed. If you're AMAB, long hair probably pushes you more towards a mixed or neutral presentation. I like my short hair.

I had the benefit of scaring the living shit out of my parents and ending up in the hospital 6 years ago, and after I got out they sort of treated me like I might break at any time. So they didn't want to upset me unnecessarily and there was no comment at all on what I wanted to do with my hair. I chopped it all off and never went back. When in doubt, I guess go with almost dying? :lol:

I think that looking up pictures of long hairstyles for guys may do a couple things for you. 1, it could give you ideas for your own hairstyle, but 2, it can make it easier for you to feel masculine or neutral with long hair if you can see people of many genders rocking the long dos. If you can start to view your own hair as un-gendered or all-gendered, it may still be long enough to bother you, but it's less likely to trigger dysphoria.

8. salad

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing with my hair is that I look really feminine with it. I've tried looking at men's long hair styles, but it doesn't help me, sadly. When people look at me, they see me as a fifth grade girl because I look so feminine. I want to do something with my hair that makes it easy to go between genders. The only time I ever feel happy with my hair is when I feel like a girl.

9. Delta

I understand completely. However, I am not the type of person who thinks parents should have any authority over things like hairstyle, so my future advice will be entirely insubordination based.

1, intend to get a super cute girly medium length cut. Show pictures (whether you actually want to look like them or not) of the cut you're getting. But get it by an unprofessional person or a hairdresser who's on your side. Have them fuck it up on purpose. Have them fuck it up so badly the only way to fix it is to cut it short. Act distraught if you feel like your parents are getting mad so they feel more sympathetic.

2, Do it without an excuse. If you get in trouble, at least you're in trouble while looking hella fine.

3, take scissors to your own hair, following the pattern of option 1.

These all assume your family is merely judgemental and not violent or likely to kick you out. Only you know if it's a good idea for you. :slight_smile:

10. lnamae

lnamae Guest

You could get a wig, and say its for cosplay or something. Even the cheap ebay ones look alright under a hat or beanie.

Like Delta said, fuck it up or get a bad hairdresser to so you have to get it fixed shorter.

Pick out a shorter hairstyle of a feminine celebrity you "really like".

Get a friend to cut it/screw it up - you're parents will probably be less angry at your friend.

Just get it cut without telling them. It's your hair.

Style it more "masculine". Bun on the top or lower part of the head is what I can think of...

#10 lnamae, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  11. A Mindful Wolf

Tie it in a really bad not and tangles so that you had "no choice" but to cut it.

12. salad

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I begged my parents for a shorter haircut, and they reluctantly complied. I have a hairdresser that I frequently go to (who I'm friends with at this point). I'll come out to her and ask if she could somehow make my hair shorter than the picture I have. If it doesn't work out, then I'll have to try to cut it a bit myself. Even as a little kid I never cut my hair, so my parents might be suspicious that I'm trying to get a pixie. However, I'm willing to get in trouble if it means I can finally feel like myself. I don't want any of my friends to do it, since my mom and dad are always finding reasons to hate them and trying to get me to avoid them. Hopefully everything works well.

13. Delta

When you're getting your hair cut, be sure to ask for what you want from the stylist. Getting a kinda close haircut and changing it into the right haircut isn't that easy, so get the right haircut the first time. Show her a different picture than you show your parents if need be, but since you have permission, even if it is reluctant, go for the gold. :slight_smile: