1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate that there's no hormone to "make" me neutral.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Delta, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Delta

I feel kind of fucked over by biology, to be honest. Women, trans or cis, have estrogen that can make them more "womanly". Incites curves and rounder faces, smoother skin, empathy, all that jazz. Men have testosterone, inciting body and facial hair muscle building, voice lowering. If you don't have enough, it's physically possible to get more. If you're a man or a woman, there are ways to look more like a man or woman.

And I just kind of feel like there is nothing for me. There's nothing I can take to help my body be the way I feel. If I take T, I'll start looking more male. If I don't, I'm never going to be recognized as anything but a girl. If I take T, I'll ruin a lot of the feminine things I like about myself, irreparably. If I don't, I never get anything but these features and I'm stuck with this body for life. I can't ever win.

It just seems... So unfair. I wish there was a hormone I could go on that would make me totally androgynous. But there isn't. There's nothing that's for me. I can either stay feminine or use T to become masculine, but there's no option for becoming -me-.

And I feel just... So jealous. And so bittersweet when I hear about other trans people loving being on hormones. I'm glad they're happy, but... I'd give my left leg to have a chemical that could make me look how I feel, but... it just doesn't exist. :cry:

2. Just Jess

The thing about medicine is that it doesn't grant you legitimacy, and taking it is not about outward expression. It grants you inner peace. HRT directly impacts dysphoria. Without my testosterone, and on my estrogen, I don't feel like ass. When people misgender me, it sucks a whole awful lot less. Yes, it does impact my outward appearance and for that I am very grateful.

But with regard to myself, there is no substitute for a very strong sense of self. My whole life, especially since I've chosen not to go the stealth route, I am going to have to deal with people that try to take me down a peg or two. I'm reaching a point in my life where people don't automatically know I'm trans and I have to tell them if I want them to know, and yes, that does feel good and does smooth a lot of the obstacles I face.

But my transition did not begin with HRT. My transition began when I came out to my ex fiancee. I came to terms with myself, learned to love myself, defined what kind of woman I wanted to become, and gave myself measurable ways to get there. I worked hard on my voice and started exercising again. I started laser hair removal. I finished college and got my first job. Later, I quit my job and got one as myself. I moved out where I'd be happier. I got my ex fiancee back on her feet as best I could. I love my past self so much for all these things. Hormones didn't make me a woman. I did. Hormones just allow me to enjoy it when I'm all alone at the end of the day, to focus when I'm at work, to breath.

So. With all that in mind. What kind of a nonbinary person do you want to be? What do you want to do for a living? And how can you get to the point where your opinion of yourself matters more than the opinions and validation of others?

#2 Just Jess, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Look... gender is not about hormones, hormones are a way to express your gender with your body. Excersicing helps a ton if you're FAAB, and doesn't have the effects of T that may be unwanted. Of course it doesn't do miracles, but it helps. Well chosen clothing can also help, especially experimenting with different cuts and men's clothing. Hairstyles, make-up, all that kind of stuff. But moreover: be yourslef and choose what you personally like. I bet that if you're genderfluid, you wouldn't choose only clothing that makes you look feminine, but masculinising and neutral clothing and styles too. Passing... don't ask me, I don't pass at all, and probably never will.

4. Delta

Yes, my gender is obviously more than hormones, and I need to be confident, but...

Hormones are a way for people to express their gender. Except me, apparently. It's only a tool, not an end, not an identity. But it's a tool I really wish I had. I really wish there was something for me in that arena. I know it wouldn't fix everything, it probably wouldn't "fix" anything because that's not how medicine works. It can only help. But I need that help.

My transition has already begun, I'm already starting to come out, starting to dress and act the way I want. Not having hormones won't stop me. But it does hurt. A lot.

It's still painful to read about how much these other trans people appreciate and enjoy being on hormones, knowing that I won't have that. It feels like.... Like if I wanted a kid and wasn't able to have one, and when I start to grieve the loss of that potential, what people would say is "well, a kid won't fix your relationship" or "well, you can get a dog" and that's true, but it's not the point.

I want what Jess has. I can do the hard work of making myself my gender, I can determine who I am. I can do my own work at being myself and legitimizing my identity. But... I want to be able to breathe at the end of the day. I want to be at peace to focus at work. And to not have the thing that so, so many trans people cite as such a great comfort.... It's heartbreaking.

I want to be an engineer when I graduate. I want to create things and do new things and make things for human beings to use. I want to be the kind of nonbinary person who, by virtue of not being like women or like men, is actually kind of like everyone. I want my perspective to help me with making things for people. For everyone. My own opinion already matters to me more than that of others. No one else in real life wants me to have hormones but me. No one else even in real life knows I want them.

5. GenderSciFi

Wow, you do sound like such a driven person who kind of knows who they are and what they want. That's so cool.
    And I think I can understand that feeling of sadness that there's nothing to be done bring you closer to being your gender - and being recognized as your gender - physically. I've felt something similar, I think.
    Maybe it's important to allow yourself time to grieve, or be irrationally angry, about that fact. I know, for myself, that I'm in that stage of grief and will be for quite some more time. Like, there's nothing much productive going on in my head about my transition, it's all just: "This is so unfair! Why isn't there a way for me to look like and be seen as what I feel like? Aaargh!" And I know that some day, I'll be ok, in a kind of stable position of either being, if not comfortable, then at least relaxed about being perceived as a masculine woman most of the time, or otherwise, to (partially) tranisition and be read as male. Like, the options are quite clear, but now, I just need to deal with my frustration about not getting what I really need.
    Don't know if that helped at all? But maybe?
    Lots of love!

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't want to sound too dry or too "I'm gonna give a hug", but I'm realy not the most talkative person ever, and I really do feel for you and al that jazz. I have reasearched all that stuff a while ago, and came to the conclusions I came to. Still, what I also wanted to say is check out this site, it might be somehow helpul to you:
    https://neutrois.me/
    and also... I dunno, but getting female hormones, the pill taken continuously, or an implant, to stop mentruation might also be an option one may see as a non-binary transition. Some people get top surgery only too. When it comes to medical things.

7. Just Jess

(*hugs*) That does sound like an awful position to be in. I really feel awful, I was not trying to rub anything in your face and I feel as though I might have :frowning2: I was almost a year and a half between coming out and when I started, and it was not a fun time, so I feel like I can relate.

Have you brought any of this up with a doctor? That article seems to suggest that gonadectomies are something that some doctors consider for trans people. I can say from personal experience getting rid of my testosterone was the more important part of my HRT, I felt that a lot more than the added estrogen. I think most doctors would agree you need some hormones in you, but it might be that an endocrinologist would know of an appropriate balance. All of this is new to me, when I first started transitioning a few years ago I made a lot of non-binary friends that had to "pass" as traditional binary transitioners to get taken seriously at all, it was not the best situation for non-binary folk :frowning2: A lot seems to have changed since then.

#7 Just Jess, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how you feel. :frowning2:

I consider myself a non-binary transmasculine individual. I feel male inside, and I wish I could pass as a guy, but I'm torn on how far I need to go to feel a sense of peace with myself. I know I need to do something about my voice because it causes so much of my dysphoria, as do my thighs and my breasts, so top surgery is a must and taking T makes sense for a lot of reasons. But I don't want thinning hair. Or a beard to shave. And those are fairly inevitable.

The thing that I think is a little complicated for me is that I need to start working towards medical goals to tackle this. But I'm so afraid of being shoved in another box that doesn't fit! I need my body to match how I feel more closely, and I need to be recognized for who I am. But I also need my freedom of expression. I can say with certainty that I feel totally male, but I don't necessarily identify completely with the word man. I'm not sure what that means or how to interpret it, if it's got something to do with repression or whatever.

It's like I feel somewhat androgynous, but like an androgynous male. I've always identified with and admired male individuals that just say "fuck the binary, fuck macho bullshit". And because I don't feel like this masculine he-man, I had a hard time coming to terms with my identity. But I think I'm starting to understand my needs. And I very much need a sense of peace. :frowning2:

It sucks that hormones are so strong and so specific. But your goals, becoming the kind of non-binary individual you are, they're not contingent on hormones. Don't be afraid to take baby steps, or to learn about yourself as you go. We all grow and change every day, so we can never really understand ourselves completely. Tackle the most prominent of your needs first, and the others will become clearer.

9. Delta

Please don't worry about it, I know you didn't mean it like that. :slight_smile: I'm tough, no harm done.
    A lot of my life plans involve having kids, so I'm not jazzed about being free of the reproductive organs. I was raised in a family where kids were always portrayed as being one of the most exciting parts of life, and I know it's a bit selfish to not adopt, but I would like to home-grow at least one. I've been talking about it with my therapist, but I feel like I should hash out my own feelings and desires more firmly before I get to start looking at endocrinologists. I'm scared that if I don't know exactly what I want, people won't take me seriously. I'm going through a lot of mood swings between delighted and excited and defeated and exhausted.
    I guess you could say passed for a long time, most of my life. But I'm not comfortable passing any more. :icon_redf I feel like it's my "responsibility" to come out. Hardly any non-binary people come out. Maybe... Maybe I'm tough and resilient because I'm supposed to be one of the earlier ones. :shrug:

10. randomconnorcon

Kids was one of the very first questions my GP asked before referring me to a gender clinic. If I wanted them. I said probably and that I'd likely adopt or my partner might be the biological parent for one (basically, as long as I didn't have to carry the kid, I'd think about it). But my GP still let me know that I had options if I wanted a biological kid of my own (like, freezing my eggs). She also said I was young, being only 22, and we could talk about it in more detail later, because there was time. I'm not saying this is a solution so now HRT is a given. Just that a doctor will most likely ask you about it and may give you similar options, so you don't have to think of HRT as immediately ruling kids out if you ever decide to go down that route.

#10 randomconnorcon, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016