1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the Difference Between Gay and Queer?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by afgirl, Apr 24, 2016.

1. afgirl

I figured I was just out of touch and tried googling it and got a lot of different opinions, but not a really solid answer. I had always assumed they were synonymous, but I read a post recently where a person described themselves as "queer, but not quite gay".

So, is there a solid answer that I'm missing, or is this question completely subjective???

2. thepandaboss

Think of it this way. All gay people are queer. But not all queer people are gay. Queer can basically just mean you're not straight. A lot of people call themselves queer if they feel their sexuality isn't easily described by one label.

3. afgirl

4. thepandaboss

First off, never trust someone who actually publishes an article where they misspell friends as freinds. That's just...awkward.

But the author does raise a good point. A lot of people use queer as a political term. It's a way of saying that they're part of the LGBT community and aren't straight (or cis). As you might have noticed, a lot of people use queer to talk about gender too. And what they're basically saying is that they identify as non-binary or not really as either make or female.

5. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Queer is an umbrella term for non-heterosexual and non-cisgender individuals as far as I'm aware

6. afgirl

OMG...I can't believe I didn't catch that spelling error. Too funny. Okay, well I think I get it now. It just confused me when he started talking about his social circles, with one being his queer friends and one being his gay friends. I think perhaps I should have just retained the surface explanation. I looked too deep, I guess.

Thanks.

7. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Queer is starting to more and more stand in as a more inclusive, and easier way to say LGBTQUIAAA+ because that's too long and lengthy and full of issues and whatnot. Of course, queer has historically been used to refer to gay people, as it does now, but there's not so much distinction other than to be an umbrella term nowadays.

8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people use queer as an umbrella term or personal identity, but it's really derogatory from most places outside the U.S. (and some places in it). Personally, I'm really uncomfortable being called queer because that's the word I was called when I was bullied for being a really masculine girl (as people thought I was a lesbian, before I knew I was trans or that I liked girls).

I'd really recommend that you don't use queer as an umbrella term or for anyone you're not sure is comfortable with it.

9. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a very good point. While queer CAN function as an umbrella term, it's important to remember those negative connotations and realize we haven't completely reclaimed the term yet. Using queer as an umbrella term for other people is just playing back into the dominant meaning of queer as a slur.

#9 Ghostling, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  10. Lipstick Leuger

It's only how you label yourself. Semantics only folks.......no big suprise.

11. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Queer is a slur that non-straight and non-cis people are able to reclaim. People often use it to label their sexuality if they do not want to be too specific (e.g. they don't quite fit any of the standard sexuality labels). It is not an umbrella term for the LGBT community because it isn't a word you should use to describe anyone without their explicit permission.

Gay is often used casually to just mean "not straight", but as a label means exclusively attracted to the opposite gender. Someone who is gay could choose to call themselves queer, but someone who calls themselves queer but is not homosexual (e.g. is bisexual) isn't technically gay.