1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to teach your mind to stop thinking binary

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nike007, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. So I haven't posted on here for a bit because after my trip, my opinions on my gender got confusing to me. I hate being seen female or male. I don't like it when people see me as a male, and I want to tell them I'm female, though I'm very uncomfortable with being female. I like being female for so many reasons, but I'm afraid that if certain people know I'm not fully female, they'll treat me differently and such. I would be fine if I was a male tomorrow for myself, but socially, I wouldn't want to make new friends or people I talk to think of me differently. It's weird to describe. But anyways, my mind keeps trying to put me in male or female, this or that. I am not male or female, but my mind wants me to be one or the other. It's so hard to think something differently if you've thought this your whole life until a few months ago. How do you train your mind to stop thinking like this? Thanks.

2. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the same exact issues. I love being treated like a girl, and I love being girly; but I'm just not, and while I ID as masculine I'm very uncomfortable with being seen as male.

Binary thinking is really really hard to overcome, and it's especially difficult (in my experience) to overcome that challenge with yourself. I've always found it much more easy to think of someone else as nonbinary, or other experiences as not having gender, but personally it's almost not in my own control. The masses are never going to see us as anything other than male OR female. That's hard to reconcile with. It's hard to not internalize. I'm not sure how to fix it, but I definitely feel that same strain.

3. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your response :slight_smile:.

I keep having this dilemma in my mind, like, am I this or that, and not whom I really am. I don't know how to stop thinking like this and it's annoying me.