1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for supporting a boyfriends ftm transition

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dimidom42, Apr 25, 2016.

1. dimidom42

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi!

I'm a bi cisgender male whose boyfriend is about to begin the ftm transition. He'll be starting hormones within the next few months and we're both super stoked about it(!)

We have a really great relationship; we support each other, communicate freely and openly, and I have always been supportive of his transgender status. That being the case, I'm still kind of nervous about beginning the transition in that I'm unsure what to expect as we go forwards, so I was looking for advice (or personal experiences) about the whole thing from people who have transitioned or even people whose significant other has transitioned: are there any hazards/pitfalls to watch out for? Are there any things you think I can do to support him besides just being the doting boyfriend? Are there any things he may go through that I should understand to better support him? I'll really take any advise, and appreciate any I can be given. Thanks!:thumbsup:

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, you're already being an awesome and supportive boyfriend just by asking this! Sounds like he's lucky to have you.

I would recommend reading up on the effects of testosterone just so you really understand what to expect. Hormones could make him moody (it's like going through puberty again, and puberty makes everyone moody and angsty), so that's something to be prepared for. Other than that, it's a lot like supporting him now. He'll probably be really excited and happy about his transition, but there will still be times he feels really dysphoric. Just be there for him when he needs you, and feel free to ask for advice here if specific situations come up.

Also, don't feel afraid to let him know that you're a bit nervous. Obviously his transition is harder for him than it is for you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't affect you too. If you want, you can ask him exactly what you asked us. Let him know that you're a little nervous and ask what he'd like you to do in order to be as supportive as possible.