1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Current Obstacle

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Snidi, May 1, 2016.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi all,

I am currently in the midst of searching for a gender therapist to discuss my recent gender fluid feelings. Of course, this isn't easy....finding a good therapist on its own is not a simple matter, but a therapist who is good at working for gender? It's darn near impossible.

My obstacle lies in finding someone who is right for me and takes my insurance. Unfortunately, because I am living with my parents now, my mother has a tendency to know everything I do. She has intrinsic interest in looking up the details on whomever I see. Her intended help in this case is actually an obstacle to me. And because I can't tell my mother about this for personal reasons, I can't specify that my therapist is a 'gender therapist.' I can only find a regular therapist who just so happens to work well with gender. And that's not always easy. Sadly, it's just not.

But I'm trying.

Of course, since I am not so outward about my gender identity, I am too shy to visit the LGBT center as well. It's unfortunate, but....it is what it is I guess.

Any further ideas/suggestions? It's really lame that I'm struggling with these gender issues so much. I had thought that I would learn to feel accepting and fully satisfied with my sex of birth over time but....unfortunately, that hasn't been the case so far. If anything, the dissatisfaction had gotten a great deal more prevalent.

#1 Snidi, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Snidi,

The only thing I can even think to suggest is to broaden your search. I found my therapist under "trans friendly therapy". If by some chance that helps, maybe put that name into a list of about 3 therapists and just tell your mother that you are possibly interested in these 3. After which, tell her you have decided on (whichever therapist is trans friendly). If she asks why, smile at her coyly and just say, "that would be between me and my new therapist". Good luck. I don't know if this is going to help at all, but I hope it does.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would it be possible for you to email or call the LGBT center in your area? I know that I am terrible at going to new places, so sometimes I will email or call and talk with somebody before I go. That's something that has always been helpful to me. They also may be able to send you in the direction of the therapist, or they may even have some there.

4. Irisviel

There are no "gender therapists" where I live, just therapists (psychology practitioners).
    I searched some trans sites to find people that are recommended and went with that. I'm sure a regular therapist is just fine, you simply need to make sure they are known to be properly educated.

5. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It's also tough when accepting of my current insurance is a factor. (which, it unfortunately, is...).