1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start transitioning FTM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by mccain2468, May 2, 2016.

1. mccain2468

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi, I'm new here. I've just recently come out as trans to my really close friends. I'm wondering what to do now? I've googled a lot of stuff but most of it talks only about hormones and surgery. What did you do in the very beginning of your transition? I still have a lot of "girly" stuff around that I keep just because I feel I'm supposed to. I already have short hair and wear guy clothes. The thing is, there's no way I could pass as a guy if I'm not on T. I am only 5'2" and look very feminine. It sucks. I'm not sure when I should ask my friends to start using the right pronouns or if/when I should start going by a different name.

Thanks,
    Morgan

2. Umme

I think you should start using the right name and pronouns even if you don't look like a boy, but idk I'm not transgender.

3. EisNotBored

Do whatever you think you need to do.
    My biggest suggestion is to switch the pronouns right away, and think about if you want to change your name. If your name that you have now is acceptable in your opinion and you don't feel the need to change it, don't worry man, and don't change it. If you want a different name, implement that at the same time that you are asking to change your pronouns. It's okay to not know what name you want right away, though. Play around with different ones. Ask your friends' opinions. It's all good, brother.

4. ThatOneAlien

New name and pronouns was one of the first things I did, so yeah you could definitely do that now if you want. You can at least start researching names if you don't have one picked out yet; it took me quite a while to decide on one. I also bought a binder within the first couple months, you could look into that if you're interested. And if you want to get rid of your "girly" things go ahead, but don't feel pressured to give up anything you don't really want to.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Going by my new name and pronouns was one of the first things that I did when I came out as trans. From there, it is whatever you would like to do. If you want to medically transition, you can try to get the ball rolling there.

6. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I started going by a masuline name/pronouns with friends pretty quickly. If I had felt my parents or teachers at the time would have been OK with it, I would have also asked them to switch over.

I started working on my voice by singing and then speaking in my chest voice. I'm not sure if this actually helps, but it does make me feel a lot better. I already had a pretty low range, though, so YMMV.

You can work out. For example, a lot of guys recommend working on your shoulders/arms since it can give you a more masculine shape.

So far as girly stuff, I also kept a lot of it at the beginning. I felt like I was expected to keep it for some reason, even though I didn't like it. You can start slowly getting rid of it or swapping it out for things you actually like.

(Of course, if you do like it, keep it :thumbsup:)

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I started with underwear. Get some boxershorts and sports bras. If you want to transition it might be a good idea to tell your parents. To help you pass, maybe lose weight, in case you're not already lean. Works wonders especially for the face. Then you might get used
    to sitting and walking more male.

8. mccain2468

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've started wearing boxers and it feels awesome! I'm so excited to start this transition!