1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some questions about mtf hrt

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Glowing Eyes, May 2, 2016.

1. Glowing Eyes

So even though I'm only 14, I'm already having thoughts about starting hrt. It wouldn't hurt to know now. So here's a few questions I've got. (this is just about hrt; surgery scares me)

1. Is there a minimum age to start? (I live in the state of Georgia if that's a factor)

2. Will it in any way affect my neck (specifically Adam's apple)?

3. What about facial features?

4. Any advice on talking to my parents about this 'cause I think they'll worry (that I'll have regrets)/feel like they're losing someone?

5. Would it be a good idea for someone like me who is very insecure about themselves, constantly feels judged at every step (even though nobody's judging me), and overall just has trouble communicating with people?

6. What about school in general?

#1 Glowing Eyes, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. With parental consent I don't believe so.
    2. No it's already there.
    3. If it isn't puberty with you yet those will soften and feminize better.
    4. I'm still working now on that myself.
    5. If it would make you feel better then yes.
    6. I'm not out at school as a teacher, and the only trans student seems to be treated well.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. If your parents consent, you can do it at any age.

2. No, apart from potential fat redistribution (which with your neck would only really happen if you lost or gained a massive amount of weight) your throat will stay the same. Once your vocal chords have thickened, it can't be undone unless you get surgery. If they have not thickened, the anti-androgens they put you on with estrogen will prevent them from developing any more.

3. Yes, a bit if your bones have already set, if you gain weight (which you probably will, females carry more and your metabolism will slow) you'll probably get some in your cheeks and look more feminine. If you do it before they set (at your age, they have not) you'll bones will be set in a much more feminine way. HRT on young people works wonders.

4. Glowing Eyes

Thanks for your responses :slight_smile:

5. Glowing Eyes

Also, what are the risks? I've heard some sources tell me there are none or very few and others give me huge lists of potential physical risks.

6. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, there isn't overwhelming evidence for the health effects of estrogen, but there are some risks linked to it. It can increase your risk of gallbladder disease, anti-androgens greatly reduce your energy which can make you feel nauseated when you first start, it will definitely cause infertility (so freeze your sperm if you want kids), increased risk of benign pituitary tumors, some trans women say they get worse migraines on HRT but others say they get them less often. Your chance of blood clots and venous thromboembolism increase largely. Overall, trans women and non-trans women have similar rates of mortality to the general population, and you're not at a much higher risk for disease than non-trans people. You're going to be more susceptible to health risks females are more susceptible to, and less so for mostly ailments affecting mostly males. For example, your LDL levels will be lowered.

You'll get a blood test though, and your doctor will let you know if you're at a particularly high risk for anything, and you can measure the pros-and-cons with your clinic.