1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things society could do?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lnamae, May 4, 2016.

1. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Making this thread out of curiosity about other peoples thoughts...

There's been a lot of talk about "controversial" bathroom laws and what not in the media lately, and mainly I was wondering what other people thought society could do to make things better for trans people?

I feel like a lot of us have probably grown up, sort of accepting things as they are and accepting them as "normal obstacles". Why should there be any obstacles though?

Basically what do you think society could do, from your own experience and knowledge to help and make things easier for trans people? I'm really curious what people think!

Thanks!! :icon_bigg

2. Bright Eyes

Asking for preferred pronouns when asking for someone's name. All the time. Even if the person doesn't "look" trans (whatever that means)

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Society needs to stop insisting there are "girl" or "boy" things. Because not everyone falls into one of those categories, and not everyone who identifies as male will like tradional name things, and the same is true for females.

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell kids it's okey to be a girl or a boy, cis or trans, and everything in between and outside that. And that it's okey be that in whichever way, to realise it in any moment, and to do or not do anything about it. I would personally be really happy if I could come out as trans, not pass as cis, be called sir and not get my gender identity questioned just because I don't pass as biologically male and don't want to take steps to be more biologically male. And not being told that I'm having a problem, that I hate myself, that it's my parents' fault, or that calling myself "he" is an insult, etc. The society should stop insisting on genitals so much and on the narrow view of what it means for a person to have a set of certain biological characteristics.

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Educate people on trans issues and just a better education in regards to gender in general. Make it a mandatory part of school health/sex-ed lessons (or the equivalent in various different countries).

Have people from a young age be more aware that a) trans people exist b) it's okay to be trans or to be confused about your gender/realise you're trans at any point in your life and c) being accepting of trans people even if you're not trans is incredibly important.

Telling kids it's okay to be trans and that it's actually a thing that exists, and also how to support their peers with gender related things, can really help.

6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Open more gender clinics and make it more accessible, change gender studies to actually be mostly about gender identity and maybe even turn it into a psychology related subject or multidisciplinary subject that trains gender therapists as part of the second degree, educate people and expand the scientific research on the subject, teach a course about gender identity as part of journalism and English degrees to help journalists report in ways that aren't hurtful to transgender people and do the same for police training courses or other fields of study that are vocational and connect in some way to the trans community.

I think the most important changes are easier access to treatment and education to reduce prejudice and discrimination.

#6 Eveline, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1. Instead of a male box and a female box, allow a blank space next to gender on forms.
    2. Have gender-neutral bathrooms
    3. Have a non-gendered dress code for work and school
    4. Have LGBT supporting churches open about supporting LGBT [I know they exist, I just don't know where]
    5. Allow X or N on passports [X in Mx. or N for neutral/non-binary, not sure which one it would be, but one of them]
    6. My mum believes that LGBT people shouldn't have to ''come out'' - so to be able for her to know and accept that I'm NB-Bi without having to say anything would be great. In terms of society: Break down the normative to the point where the common exists, but not make it perceived to be any more/less normal than the uncommon.

#7 Secrets5, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
  8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just stop focusing on it so much. Don't make it another civil rights issue, don't try to inform people of all this identity vs expression and pronouns stuff, just let kids know that some people change their genders and don't overcomplicate it. Also taking the government out of bathroom laws and letting private places decide for themselves is good. Honestly, I think 99% of this activism just makes trans people look silly and if we didn't push for it so much, these bathroom bills would have never existed.

9. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    We're a long ways from that but accept that everyone won't fit perfectly in the "masculine" or "feminine" categories. I sure as hell don't I dabble lol. Don't get offended if someone doesn't portray themselves as you perceive them and let them live life. As long as people wanna be happy and not assault others what's the problem?

With homelessness, hunger, poverty, lack of job opportunities, etc. it's a shame people put so much effort caring where people go to the bathroom. Just respectfully treating trans people like fellow human beings and trying to see life through their shoes would go a long way too. Well wishes to the "T" in LGBT.

10. Irisviel

Fight against stigma placed upon gender expression -both towards traditional and non traditional expression. If people were more secure about being able to explore... I believe there would be less confused folks, too.

And it would help both trans and cis people, to have freedom to be what you like without facing judgment - be that for normative, or non normative gender expression. I see a good first step to greater acceptance of otherness in such a direction. If there is less stigma for being not manly/feminine enough... it would become easier to embrace one's self, whoever one may be.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my god, yes.

Back when I would try to do claw machine related things for a kid's hospital, I'd get nagged about needing to get more "boy" plushies and crap like that. I can't believe people still have this annoying notion that only things are only for a certain gender, especially colors. Screw gender boxes.