1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender doubts around family?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by h4zey, May 9, 2016.

1. h4zey

h4zey Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry I ask a lot of questions. :lol::eusa_doh:

Anyway, I feel like I'm Transgender or at least gender nonconforming. But, I was wondering If any of you guys feel Transgender but then get around family and start having doubts specifically with coming out if you're still in the closet? Whenever I'm around my gf she calls me my preferred name and pronouns and it's not a big deal. It feels right. I get awkward and uncomfortable around family members though whenever I feel like coming out and I get this feeling I'll be like: "Jk, I'm not Trans," Could this be because I don't feel close and comfortable around my family like I do with my gf? ;o

2. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That definitely could be because of how uncomfortable you are around your family.
    I'm completely out, but my family is very much uncomfortable with it, so we all just sort of pretend nothing's changed. I've been on T for over a year and a half and they still use my birth name and pronouns, it's odd and pretty invalidating but at the same time it's how it's always been. Having my family misgender me doesn't feel similar to the way I feel when strangers or friends do.

The way your feeling isn't odd at all, don't worry about that. Work things out on your own time. Come out when/if you're ready, no rush. You do you boo

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel that way a lot around my family but around my friends I'm fine

4. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been feeling the same way, tbh. It's causing me a lot of questioning and strife. When I'm not around my family, when I'm at home with my gf or at work or at school, masculine pronouns and name feel correct. When I'm with my family, it all feels like a big charade.(It's pretty much the only thing still keeping me from asking my therapist to go ahead and give the transition go-ahead.) You're definitely not alone, though I'm sorry I don't have any advice for dealing with it! Be strong and know that you are the only one who has to live with you and your decisions forever.