1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perceptions of Bigenders

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JessicaJones, May 10, 2016.

1. JessicaJones

I just joined after finally learning that "bigender" is a real term used by the APA. I've always known (since I was 10), so was just thrilled to find out what I "am" is a recognized thing and not the product of a very active imagination. (Being bigender got me into a lot of trouble as a kid/teen, and for a while I just started pretending to be one gender and kept the other hidden.) What I don't quite know yet is who else is bigender, their experiences, and how they're perceived. It just doesn't seem like something that gets a lot of attention. I hope people will respond and tell me.

My own experience: it's a life of constant compromise that has its advantages. I'm a simultaneous bigender, so both are always present. Once or twice, I wondered if I should do gender reassignment but quickly decided (after about 5 minutes) that the other half of me wouldn't like that very much. If someone offered me the chance to just take one gender or the other, I'm not sure I'd want that either.

When I show hints of understanding what it's like to be a woman *and* a man, most people seem to act like that's impossible. But I'm possible, right?

#1 JessicaJones, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I believe you're very possible. :slight_smile:

3. TheSideKick

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are very possible because if you weren't I wouldn't be either. I at first didn't know the term so I spent the beginning of my life a little confused. Whenever I looked in the mirror I saw both a feminine and masculine face or boy and girl. Actually I didn't even notice I was only perceived as one gender until the gender segregation in elementary school which was a quite a confusing thing for me. Puberty did not help at all and that's when the dysphoria kick in, so for a while I was just a semi-gender neutral looking person who acted like a boy and girl. When I did find the term, everything made sense even the indecisiveness I was having because for a while I could never pick a side as I seem to naturally be able to see it through two ways, I just didn't know that those two ways were two genders!

Well that's enough about me, I'm just happy to tell you that you exist and I'm sure that others exist too(I even met a few on here!) Have a lovely day friend, if you ever want to chat my wall is open :smilewave

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh you are very real.(*hug*) i am a fluid bi gender person. sometimes male, some female and some both depending on circumstances. it does make for an interesting ride.:eusa_danc

5. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've sometimes wondered if I'm bigender, I don't think I'm exactly a textbook example of one but at the same time that wouldn't mean I wasn't bigender. I don't mind my male body too much, nor do I mind being considered male, passing and acting as such or living the rest of my life as a male. My interests are mainly gender neutral but leaning masculine whilst my appearance is similar. That being said, a part of me does feel like a female and for years I've never been truly sure of what I am - I'm fairly sure I'm not cisgender, I just don't know where I can find myself under the transgender umbrella.

6. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wonder, I might be bigender...

7. JessicaJones

This is good to hear! I've never been a huge fan of labels. That said, when you find the right label, whether it's a genre of music or a gender, it feels pretty good.