1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chemical OR Physical Castration?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Snidi, May 10, 2016.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm contemplating lowering my sex drive somehow...and I'm borderline ready to do whatever it takes to do that. It's really starting to bug me.

For two reasons

A. My "girly" transgender side only truly comes out in large stride when I'm sexually aroused. I'm only desperate to feel like a woman when I'm aroused. Otherwise, I'm pretty ok as an androgynous 'dude'.

B. Honestly, I'm just tired of all the emotional manipulation/fantasizing about women. Women have messed with my life and mind, going all the way back to when I was 19, to this moment. The sad and emotionally draining interactions with women had far outnumbered any good that might have taken place.

Then, when I'm not with women, I'm wasting time longing for/desiring them.

But...my questions are: would I regret a post castrated life for any reason? Is chemical or physical the best alternative?

#1 Snidi, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. Irisviel

this might be an annoying question but have you exhausted psychological and psychiatrical help, whatever you might need, before considering such radical steps?

Also, a lot of trans women choose physical "castration" as one of the srs half measures (related to dysphoria) or simply to stop taking unhealthy androgen blockers. It's called orchidectomy.

3. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Honestly? Both actions are very big steps. I would agree with Irisviel. It's best to talk to someone who can help look into the proper steps to either of these. Not to mention it might help mentally as well. But please research both extensively before deciding.

4. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I do intend to do therapy, and talk to lots of people before these considerations.

But...I'm curious the mindset of anyone who has actually done this. Even if they weren't trans before. Does it help remove gender dysphoria?

5. Irisviel

The most common reasons are because of dysphoria, because it makes you have less "down there" and it's a lot cheaper than SRS, too.

Also, not everyone wants SRS even if they can afford it, but they still want less there. And for all I know, if you intend not to undergo SRS, orchidectomy is probably advisable to reduce health side effects of HRT.

However, in your case, you should really focus on therapy seriously, commit to helping your brain first before you consider anything permanently affecting your body; you mentioned having past wounds done to your mind; it's always better to heal the source of the problem instead of attempting bandaid solutions. You apply the latter only when all else fails.

#5 Irisviel, May 10, 2016
  6. Just Jess

I've had an orchie, ask me anything.

I still have a sex drive, I can still orgasm.

For me it was a tremendously positive move, but I knew it would be because I'd been on HRT before and knew how my new hormone balance would feel. It's not for everyone; please don't have any crisis of self if HRT isn't right for you, it just means you have different needs. They're still your needs, and meeting your needs is what it's all about.

Suppressing your testosterone, is chemical castration. It's part of HRT. Which is another reason I went through with the orchie; chemically castrated people still have a testicular cancer risk, and it's very difficult to detect those kinds of cancers in people on anti-androgens until they've progressed very far. So I completely eliminated that risk, and have one less drug to take to boot.

The only downside if you consider it one is that I can't ever have kids. Which I'm at peace with. I chose not to pay to bank my sperm. If I ever do want to be a mom, I'll adopt.

HRT definitely does have a direct affect on my gender dysphoria. Things like being misgendered don't bother me anywhere near as much on HRT. Which is why it's so easy to talk nonchalantly about my sperm and testicles right now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#6 Just Jess, May 10, 2016
  7. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Honestly, it's not solely over dysphoria. I'd say it's only about half the reason, honestly. I just want to tone down my desire for sex, to stabilize all my urges.....

It really bugs me to be so hyperactively excited for stimulation at all times.

8. Irisviel

Well, if you start HRT it will probably go down.

But since your reasons are not gender related, you need a mental health professional to guide you, not a bunch of forum people. It's just not something you pick as your first solution, to tinker with your body like that. Perhaps a psychiatrist would give you some drug to help, I honestly have no idea beyond being certain that you need to start with a therapist and follow their recommendations. Pick a trans friendly therapist and be honest during the appointments for best results.

That's really all we can say here to help you. To go for what you ask about first would be like treating a sick limb by cutting it off before you try to heal it.