1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convince my parents I'm trans

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Glowing Eyes, May 14, 2016.

1. Glowing Eyes

(My apologies if this post is a bit of a mess)

So I really want to see a gender-therapist and maybe even go on E but there's just one problem: my parents don't get what being transgender means. Now, I want to come out to my mom later today while also convincing my dad to take me seriously. We've had 3 conversations so far about me being trans and all of them involve some variation of him saying I'm too young to know and how I am confused because I'm struggling (I'm extremely shy, have some anger issues, and attention problems). During these conversations, I never bring up how my dysphoria has been getting more and more unconfortable recently and how I think about transitioning on a nightly basis out of fear of coming off as a drama-queen or oppression olympian. I just really want a few of my teenage years to be me.
    My dad even admits he knows next to nothing about trans people other than a very basic and vague definition and that we exist. I've tried everything I could so far and none of it's changed his mind. Maybe he's in denial? He's not a bigot though and that's what gives me hope that I can start hrt in around a year if I'm lucky. He acknowledges our existence and doesn't strictly tell me I'm a boy during these conversations. He doesn't say that trans people are fakers either or any of that stuff.
    I'm currently searching the web for articles that would help convince him and just asking if anybody here has any recommended articles or ways to convince him aside from that.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps you could just get them to allow you to go to a gender therapist and they could help you to explain it to them. You could see if your dad wanted to join this site or PFLAG if he doesn't know much about it so he can learn.

There's this article from the guardian which is a quite reliable newspaper, the transboy is five and the transgirl is eight, their parents are supportive. Transgender children:

3. Glowing Eyes

Just had another conversation with my dad about this and I've got a pretty good feeling that he's understanding me at least a little bit better now. I just told him to go tell my mom once she's calmed down (she's still grieving the loss of her grandmother :frowning2:).