1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender expression VS Identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JustJJx, May 16, 2016.

1. JustJJx

It's been a while since i've been on this forum, so hello again!

I've been very comfortable of late identifying as Agender. Whenever i think about being a man or a women, i just can't align myself with either! I feel genderless, i'm just me.
    But recently i've been really wanting to change my wardrobe up a bit and express myself some more. But now i'm feeling that i could be genderfluid, because some days i want to dress masculine and some days i want to dress femme!
    But i still feel Agender, anyone else have this issue? Of making the distinction between expression and identity?

2. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like to dress both ways - but for me it's just clothes, I like the look, nothing beyond, I still feel male, I still relate to the world the same way. So yes, I also have this issue. Problematic, especially as femme clothing is one of the very few gendered things in this society.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are plenty of agender and gender neutral people who dress masc, femme, androgynous, or seem to slide between them depending on the day.
    If you feel agender then you are, your gender expression won't change that.

I know some people say gender expression can't be fluid but I'm starting to think it can. There are a lot of people who have a set gender that doesn't change much, but their expression of that gender could shift around depending on a number of factors

4. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your gender expression is different than your identity.
    I for one still wear skirts, high heels, flower crowns, and all things deemed, "Female", on days I feel more feminine. I'm still 120% a boy, whom is trans, I just choose to express differently.

5. alexandr

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I say I'm a transwoman on here because I think it's probably the closest lable I can attach to myself when it comes to my gender identity. That being said, my gender expression is probably best described as "masculine-leaning gender neutral" and sometimes I do wonder if that's also my identity.

6. JustJJx

Good to know it's not just me with this problem!
    Ahh you are correct there, most unisex clothes are basically guys clothes from what i've seen. Ahh yeah, same, i still feel the same and view the world the same way when i dress femme or masculine.

---------- Post added 18th May 2016 at 03:34 PM ----------

I think you're right, my gender expression has always been very neutral, but recently it's been changing a fair bit! And yeah, i still feel agender, just all very confusing!! Thank you for the help :grin:

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im Bi gender (M/F) and my gender can change quite quickly and is very fluid. my expression is male 99% of the time. but sometimes i love being in a nice dress etc., i do this at home.

8. JustJJx

This is it, some days i just want to dress in skirts and shorts and tights, and some i'm perfectly happy in jeans and a baggy sweater! Aww, i bet your dress is adorbs :3

9. Poison

I like wearing men's clothes, because they are what I feel the most comfortable in. Even though a lot of the clothes from the women's section look quite nice, I feel wierd in them. Maybe one day, when I feel more open and sure about my identity, I can express myself more freely :grin:

10. JustJJx

I really hope you get there soon! *huuugs*

11. xAce

Out Status:
    A few people
    I completely agree with you. Girl's clothes are nice looking but I feel most comfortable in a button up plaid shirt and jeans. I hope that one day you can express yourself more freely and I wish the same for myself. I'm still so confused over my identity and gender that I'm not sure when I'll ever be able to express myself more freely.

12. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you always feel agender and that doesn't change with how you express yourself than your probably just agender. It sounds something like you have a fluid-gender-expression, if that's a word. Sometimes I feel more feminine than usual so I go with it and express a bit more feminine, like wearing brighter clothes or making my hair more tidy. But I still always feel more or less male. Sometimes I feel it less, and being more femme makes me get confused between identity and expression, but I always come around and start feeling like myself again.

13. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also identify as agender and I do the same things! Most of the time my outfits default to joggers and tanktops, but I do really really enjoy playing with extreme femme or masc presentations. I ADORE makeup and short skirts and I have a wig that makes me look super girly, and I also often bind and wear fashionable 'mens' clothes and snapbacks and that sort of stuff. Presentation doesn't have much to do with gender, unless you want it to. Plus, all clothes are awesome, why would you want to stick to one style?

14. JustJJx

Fluid gender expression! That's a great way of describing it :grin:
    I'm glad you can come around and still feel like yourself! It can be so confusing :frowning2:
    Thank you for the advice!!

---------- Post added 20th May 2016 at 02:33 AM ----------

You're totally right there! Clothes are awesome :grin: and if you want them to mean something, they will, but if not they won't...that's a great way of looking at it!
    It's good to hear other agender peeps feel this too :slight_smile:
    Ohhh my, you'll have to give me makeup tips XD

15. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Whoever said that? Gender expression can be as fluid as you want! I'm pretty sure most more tomboyish girls who aren't quite on the butch side have a pretty fluid expression without even realising it haha. And if I was agender I would similarly have no problem buying whatever I want because... wtf is up with the binary gendering of goods anyway? Every time I go to a clothes store with my mother I rant about how pointless it is but she thinks I'm mad and keeps me in the women's section haha. Not that you can't find some pretty boyish things there - as I said, a heck load of girls have this sort of fluctuating expression and never think twice.

#15 SHACH, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  16. JustJJx

Ahhh, you're so right! I hate how pretty much everything gendered these days! I feel invisible haha, but i can be a sneaky non binary kid and buy what i want i guess :3
    I'm glad people are agreeing on fluid gender expression! Making me feel great about all this :grin: so thank you!

17. BlueAvalanche

I feel male but I like feminine clothing and looks a lot too!! It makes me a bit insecure, but i'm trying to get over it!! You are whatever gender you feel, regardless of presentation!!

18. lostboy73

Out Status:
    Some people
    Clothes don't have a gender, so dress however you want! You are still who you say you are :slight_smile:

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Yeah, like many have said, gender expression and id are often widely separated. As I see it, GI is mainly just what to call yourself, while expression isn't chosen in the same sense, because whatever you do, society will gender that as being M or F. Like, some days I'll be really femme, other days my behavior, body language, clothing, etc. may be more neutral. But it's not like I think to myself "Today I shall be X/Y", I just wear etc. what I feel like, and just try to act naturally, so to say, after which it's my environment that labels that expression.