1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gender euphoria?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by tom rose, May 16, 2016.

1. tom rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi, I'm new to the forum here. Growing up I always talked about being 'born wrong' and how I should have been born a boy, but only in the last year have I really strongly been questioning my gender and realising I think I'm trans. at first I thought I might be agender but recently over the last few months I have been thinking that I am a transguy. I'm starting to feel very strongly that I want to transition. (I'm not out to anyone yet). I do get feelings of dysphoria although I find them hard to pin down, mostly I feel like when I look at myself it's not me. and that feels quite overwhelming. (i've had this feeling for years) but mainly it's the positive feelings I have when I imagine myself as masculine, or when I see someone treating me like 'one of the guys' or when I see the possibility of taking testosterone. I've suffered from depression for a long time and struggle with low mood pretty constantly, so for something to be making me feel good is a big deal.

I wondered if anyone else had this experience of being 'confirmed' in there transgender identity through more positive feelings of gender euphoria? rather than the more negative feelings of dysphoria. I think I find it difficult to connect to my feelings of dysphoria partly because I feel a lot of difficult emotions due to mental health problems related to other things from my life/experience. I sometimes maybe find it hard to tell them apart.

sorry a bit long there. just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

:smilewave

2. YinYang

Yes, I definitely have experienced gender euphoria. It was only for a little bit, but I went on an lgbt camping trip for a weekend. Everyone used the right pronouns and there were no gendered bathrooms and there was no judging and I finally felt like I could be me. It was an amazing experience.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I experience gender euphoria more than I do gender dysphoria

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, gender euphoria is always more blatant than gender dysphoria. When you are contantly being ma'amed and having to see your body everyday, dysphoria can start to fade into the background and become normal. Since I so rarely get to experience euphoria, it is very noticeable when it happens. There used to be a time where every time someone called me something I hated, I wanted to cry. Now I usually just grit my teeth or roll my eyes. Dysphoria is a faint hum of discontent and euphoria is like fireworks.

#4 Rickystarr, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in love with what I see in the mirror and selfie cam as you see me on this site. Yes. Gender euphoria is a perfect way to say it.

6. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember the first time I experienced it, I was looking at a new house about a year ago, I had finally started passing, and someone said, 'Hello sir.' I almost cried right then and there.

Now I experience it every once in a while, but not that often.
    I'm just so used to being addressed as a male.

#6 iamjustababy, May 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  7. tom rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hey thanks for all your messages! my euphoric feelings give me hope for a happier future. it was great to hear similar experience from you all!

@rickystarr I super relate to that "Dysphoria is a faint hum of discontent and euphoria is like fireworks."

8. Jellal

Self-discovery doesn't have to be all doom and gloom. I applaud those who feel excited by change!

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've personally discovered as much about my gender from gender euphoria as gender dysphoria. In fact, sometimes euphoria gives me more confident indicators of my gender identity than dysphoria does, especially since dysphoria is not very nice and happy to focus on all the time. My dysphoria is not super bad all the time, but my gender euphoria towards living as a guy and all that is more recognisable.

Transitioning, whether it be social or physical or both, is about what's good for you, getting you to a place where you can feel happier and more comfortable. Taking that into account, there's nothing wrong with considering euphoria along with dysphoria.
    Though every trans person is different and their experiences vary, I think gender euphoria is just as good an indicator of your gender and whether transition is right for you as gender dysphoria can be.

I personally feel pretty damn happy if I imagine I can live the rest of my life as a guy, physically transitioning and everything, and a lot of the time I follow these good feelings to point me the right way.

10. tom rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey thanks for your messages (sorry i didn't reply for ages), is really great to have people to talk with who are sharing these experiences : )

---------- Post added 27th May 2016 at 02:36 AM ----------

this is definitely what i'm trying to do right now, feel these kind of signposts towards what's going to bring me happiness and comfort in myself/gender. but really does feel like gender is a puzzle that you have to figure out at times.

11. BlueAvalanche

I go to a youth group, and the first time I experienced euphoria was when someone refered to me as 'young man' and called me their brother. It was in a slightly joking manner, but they did repesct my pronouns and gender, using my preferred name and the like.

I also got euphoria when I cut my hair for the frst time. It was always below my chin in various lengths, and when I cut it into an androgynous style, it felt so good and satisfying!! I'm still questioning my gender though, I still can't say i'm sure on anything. :slight_smile:

12. tom rose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I still am kinda questioning too in a way. though it kind of feels like I'm 100% certain and full of doubt all at the same time - somehow haha.

Coincidently I'm also going to be going to a youth group in a few weeks, i'm really nervous, but am gonna use male name and pronouns for the first time. and see how it goes.

13. marriedcd

Tonight this old broad is feeling big euphoria, I do most of the time, but especially tonight...more at 11 ..(!)

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to get euphoric at times, back when I was passing well (short hair, boy clothes) and out at school. Though when I graduated and came out at home, all that ended. Have only had dysphoria since January.