1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderfluidity vs Personality

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ram90, May 17, 2016.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm quite new to the world of LGBTQIA+(I'm naive) and still have a lot to learn and understand about stuff concerning the wide community. Trust me when I say that I didn't know there was a whole lot more than just Lesbian, Gay and Transgender. I seriously didn't know before I came to EC.

While not trying to be racist or classist or anything remotely LGBTQIA-phobic I wanted to enquire about Genderfluidity vs Personality. I've watched a few videos/vlogs of people who identify as Genderfluid and their interpretations/opinions about genderfluidity. It seemed a lot like personality to me. Especially when they mentioned about feeling male one day, feeling female the next and agender the next (I mean no disrespect, I'm just expressin my thoughts on what I saw). It is Confusing, since I personally feel everyone have "supposed" Male and Female tendencies (as categorized by age-old societal norms) and that shouldn't matter since you can whoever you want to be.

I don't want to start flame wars or heated discussions on this matter, please try to keep it civil and friendly. Thank you! (*hug*)

2. Delta

I'd like to talk about this, but before that, I'd like to know what point you're coming from so I don't misunderstand you. :slight_smile:

First off, what do you think "personality" is? You don't have to give a complete or universal definition, I just want to know what you're calling personality in this one context. And next, I'd like to ask the same question about "gender".

3. Morgana

As someone who identifies as gender fluid, I would say it goes somewhat beyond personality. I've always been more in touch with my feminine traits than a lot of men I know. I tend more to the compassionate, gentler side of things. That, I would agree, is personality. But there are times in my life when I want to accentuate the female. It's more than just personality for me during those times. I'm not dysphoric, but during those times I try to accentuate my feminine appearance. I dress female, put on makeup, get my eyebrows trimmed and waxed, put on nail polish, and other things to accentuate the feminine feelings. I do this most frequently when I go to queer-friendly social events. There's a few groups here in Austin that put on things like cuddle parties (ask me if you want to know more about them, they're wonderful), or sex-positive play parties. The ones I go to are always queer-friendly safe places. There, for the time I'm there, I can be a woman for a while.

I've always said, if there was a way that I could alter my body to fit my gender state, I would. It would be wonderful to have a gender-fluid body to match my gender-fluid spirit :slight_smile: I'm still exploring this for myself, so my explanation may be lacking a bit, but I hope that helps some.

Morgana