1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What the hell am i?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by fatalredknives, May 20, 2016.

1. fatalredknives

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Disclaimer: I'm new here so I'm not completely sure if this is the right way to ask for advice, so my apologies if I'm not supposed to do that here.

Anyway,

I am a 18yo girl (perhaps) and I have identified as a cis, lesbian female since I was fifteen. A few weeks ago, however, something changed. I sent one of my friends a snapchat where I had faceswapped with my brother. Her reaction was: "You're a very pretty boy." The thing is, it felt very good to hear that. It felt like a genuine compliment, even though I know she was just joking around. This caused me to think a lot about my gender identity and I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't mind being called a guy or looking like one at all, but that at the same time I also feel comfortable being a woman. Could I possibly be genderfluid? I haven't felt these things before and I don't think it switches every day, it's more just a general feeling of feeling good with both genders. It would be very much appreciated if someone could give me their thoughts on the matter :slight_smile:

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wouldn't mind being called or looking like I guy. I used to order people to treat me like a boy when I was younger. But I'm quite happy being a girl. It's never actually bothered me and there's stuff I like about it, even though I hardly live by the rules. I've been called a handsome gentlemen and a 50s rocker dude before which I found quite fun. I think it's more about something deeper. I don't know whether you have that deeper feeling or not and I can't describe that for you since I'm cis. Hopefully someone genderfluid can help you with that and give you their perspective. I'm just here to give say, does this incident mean your gender is something other than female? No not necessarily... Think about anything that may have given you clues in the past and also consider what genderfluid, non binary and trans people have to say about the feeling of gender and see if you relate to that.

#2 SHACH, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  3. JustJJx

I had a similar experience when i was a bit younger, it felt like a genuine compliment to be called pretty and cute in a femme way! So i took some time, did research, talked to lots of different trans folk to find out who i was!
    Try thinking really hard about it, that's how i came to the conclusion of being Agender! You could be Non-binary :slight_smile:

4. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could very likely be gender neutral, or just very comfortable in your own skin. It doesn't seem like genderfluidity, but maybe some nonbinary gender (maybe Agender, like Blythe suggested!) Play around with terminology, see what you like!

5. JessicaJones

You sound gender fluid or bigender. It was a revelation to me that I might be part of the transgender community, and it felt great to come on board. I love being a girl and being a guy, and it changes a lot. That confused me for a while in my teens and even early 20s. I would never be able to choose one gender, and I think once you understand that fluidity is a thing, the confusion goes away. So, welcome to the club? :slight_smile:

#5 JessicaJones, May 21, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  6. fatalredknives

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all for your replies, very helpful :slight_smile: I've looked into the different identities more and bigender does seem to more or less describe the way I feel. Now that I've acknowledged my feelings it already feels quite good. Been experimenting with dressing and looking more like guy sometimes and that felt pretty right. I'm not in a hurry though, so I'm gonna take my time and see what feels good for me.. and then hope the people around me will understand. Anyway, thanks again. I guess I'm indeed joining the club :slight_smile:

7. JustJJx

Well pull up a chair and have some cake!! I'm happy you're getting there :grin: Like you said, take your time and do whats right for you :slight_smile: We're all here for you!! (&&&)