1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pulled in opposing directions by my identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThatRangerGirl, May 22, 2016.

1. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, my name is Maya. I'm an Eastern Orthodox Christian, and M2F Transgender teenage girl. Being LGBT and a Christian is hard. Being Trans and Orthodox is especially hard. To me, no church is a substitute to the Holy Orthodox Church, but I live with the knowledge that I will never be able to transition as long as I stay . . . to transition would mean to be cut off from communion, and possibly other sacraments. In a worst case scenario transition could lead to excommunication. I cry because I cannot transition and stay, but being Orthodox is equally a part of who I am . . . my gender and my religion are a part of me in equal measure, and I feel like they are at war within me, pulling me in seperate directions . . .

I just don't know how to be true to both parts of my identity . . .

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not entirely sure about your specific church or Eastern Orthodox Christianity, but it is possible to be religious and LGBT. Even if your specific church 'cuts you off' is there another Eastern Orthodox church you could go to? Maybe not now since you're only 18, but when you move out into the wider world. Is there a possibility of having confession in your church (where it is behind a screen so they can't see you) and then they can give you advice without knowing your identity so they might be more accepting than you think.

I hope this helps.

3. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My priest is aware of my gender identity, and he even feels sorry for me. He does his best to be accommodating, and im allowed to present female outside of church. Ill never be able to physically transition or present female at church though. Honestly Father Mark said he believes I should be able to transition, but his hands are tied by the church policy. If your kicked out of one eastern orthodox church your kicked out of them all. We're like the catholics (actually we're not) in that we are a massive church, all under one government with different administrative districts, with the patriarch as equivlent to the pope. So my priest wants to help me, but his hands are tied.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there some sort of a petition you can do? There might be other trans people in other churches and if there's a lot of you and a lot of supporters then things could change. Might take a while, given the time its taken for others to change, but it might be worth it in the end.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear it, Maya. I wish I could offer more than a hug.

6. Glowing Eyes

Your priest seems like an accepting person :slight_smile: but I really have no advice for you 'cause, as an atheist, I've never been in a situation like this.