1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't want my child to use wrong pronous

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Riz, May 23, 2016.

1. Riz

Riz

Yeah so kinda obvious I want my kid to use the right pronous for me, which is him.
    But I'm afraid I'm making it hard for myself, since I by personal reasons are using mom instead of dad.... Now my friends often make the mistake and think I use dad, and hearing that just feel... Utterly wrong, so I really don't wanna change that.

As my living situation is now, I live together with my own mother and we take care of my child together to make life easier for me, which is great! We get along well with everything, she accept me as a transman but... ..She uses the wrong pronous still... And I'm really trying to get her to change it so my kid won't learn it the wrong way, making it really hard to change later but... No it's not going great.

So yeah I'd love some suggestions how to make it easier for my mom to use the right pronous? And hopefully that will be enough for my soon two year old kid to get it right, despite calling me mom.
    And maybe some tips for my kid to say right in the future if it all fails anyway?

2. Delta

I don't think it'll be a big problem for your kid, kids haven't had all the social conditioning of mom = she to the same degree as your own mom. They also get corrected about language all the time, so whereas your mom might raise a fuss when told to use the right pronouns, your kid probably won't mind and could pick it up pretty fast.

As for your mom, that's a lot harder. You might want to sit her down for a nice honest talk about how feminine pronouns make you feel, so she'll know why specifically she needs to stop using them. And don't give up on reminding her either, if she gets pestered to remember enough, she'll eventually figure out that it's much easier to use the right pronouns to begin with.

3. Riz

Riz

Oh thank you that actually make sense and calms me a fair bit!

My family is so awkward when it comes to things like this, we usually mail each other about it, and I've explained to her in one that I'd like her to use male or neutral pronous to avoid my kid to use the wrong one... She sadly didn't even reply.
    For starters I'll send another one trying to explain how bad it actually makes me feel, hopefully she'll get the point and I'll hear her try at least.