1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I had my first therapy appointment but I'm not sure how much I should trust her.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, May 23, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, this is basically just to talk about my experience, but I would appreciate any input as well.

I had my first appointment with a gender therapist last week and it went well I think. I really like my therapist and she is very supportive, but I have some slight concerns. For one thing she is a GENDER THERAPIST and I think maybe I should have started with a regular therapist. I'm not 100% positive I am trans (though I am like 80% sure), but my therapist has little doubt that I am. She is very gung ho, already talking about getting started on hormones and surgery eventually if that is something I wanted to do. Maybe she is just trying to get me used to the idea, but I was kind of expecting more actual diagnosis.

I talked about my dysphoria which is very real, and we talked about my childhood and I told her that I didn't think my childhood was unusual. I played with boys and girls, my toys were rarely gendered, we mostly had books and blocks and stuff, I dressed as a girl (not that I had a choice), and I liked to wrestle and climb trees but none of this seems unusual for a cis girl to me. Or boy for that matter. Most of my female friends did this stuff too. She labelled some of my behavior from childhood as dysphoria even though I kind of thought it was normal. Like a crippling fear/disgust of pregnancy and never having an ounce of desire to have my own children. But I know straight cis women who have no desire to have children. My therapist is mtf I think and I kind of felt like she was projecting her own desires on me. I told her that I have never bought tampons or pads before because I didn't want to be seen buying them and how I have just been stealing them from other women or "improvising" and she labelled that as dysphoria. But I always thought it was normal to be embarrassed of menstruation. She acted like it was some sort of right of passage and most girls are happy to learn they can have children. But other than that stuff, I didn't have dysphoria until long after puberty because I don't relate to "womanhood" though girlhood never mattered to me. It was basically inconsequential.

Anyway, I am just concerned that she is not really talking enough about the negatives or trying to help me look at both sides enough. I feel like she would write me a letter for T right now if I asked. Maybe I am just still in denial and waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong. But is this normal? Maybe because I am a legal adult she figures I know myself and am ready to make my own decisions. Maybe if I was a minor she would be more thorough. If you're an adult can you pretty much just waltz into a gender therapist claiming dysphoria and get a scrip? I haven't even told anyone about this yet besides my fiancee (vaguely) and my therapist is calling me by my chosen name and pronouns, which is nice because I am happy to get a feel for it and see if I like it. But she is just treating me as trans, not questioning. I came in with depression and alcohol abuse and anxiety (mostly brought on or at least worsened by dysphoria) but I kind of feel like she is ignoring my symptoms as if transitioning will fix everything. She is already talking about bringing my parents in sometime. This is all stuff I plan on probably doing some day but it seems so fast now the way she talks about it. Maybe the next appointment we will talk about my doubts a little more, because at the first appointment we mostly talked about my dysphoria.

Any thoughts? How did your first therapy appointment go? Should I be worried about this therapist, or should I have expected this going into it?

I don't want to talk bad about her because I like her and it is very validating to have someone who recognizes my identity and is willing to help me through everything, but I just worry that she would talk the same to anyone.

2. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After reading your other posts, I am so super glad you decided to seek out a therapist! I truly believe this could be very helpful for you. I can sympathize with feeling like you shouldn't voice concerns or speak badly about her because you like her as a person, but, in the end, your therapist is somebody you pay for a specific service. That service is help and counseling. I guarantee that any good therapist will want you to get as much out of the experience as possible, so if something doesn't feel right, or isn't helping, speak up! And keep in mind that this just may not be the right therapist for you. Many people go through tens of counsellors before finding one who is helpful/makes them feel comfortable :slight_smile:

I don't think not wanting to be pregnant, as a child especially, is really a symptom of gender dysphoria.. Frankly I don't think being less than thrilled about your period is either. When I got mine.. I was pretty indifferent. Like.. Oh, that's cool.. I guess. Partially because I was not expecting what appeared to be a massive crap stain in my underwear to actually be my monthly cycle :'/
    However, I'm starting to think that I might not be cis after all.. So maybe my perspective isn't entirely informed. Anyway, only you can know how you feel about things dysphoria wise, so my best advice on this is to trust your own judgement.

Besides that... Good luck! We're all rooting for you man.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! Yeah, I definitely thought it was weird what she was saying about periods. Like I am sure most transgirls wish they had one, but for cis girls as far as I know, that is the worst part about being cis. I don't really mind that much because I barely bleed and have almost no cramps or anything. But my therapist did make me realize that I have had dysphoria about my reproductive organs since I was very young. I never really wanted testicles but it definitely felt wrong that I was supposed to be in charge of making children. I think I assumed I would understand when I got older, but it actually got worse. I think she is wrong about the period thing though, and because of that it is hard to trust everything else she says about how an ftm should feel, or a cis woman, since she hasn't had those experiences. I don't mean any disrespect though. I almost think the only one I would trust 100% was a transman because they have experienced it. She says she is going to introduce me to a transguy in his thirties next session as part of a sort of mentorship thing they do and I think that will be helpful.

I think I will keep the next appointment with her, but if I am still not sure I will shop around.

#3 Rickystarr, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  4. Morgana

Finding a therapist is a little like buying clothes. They both have to fit well and be comfortable. It is entirely possible she's a great person and a great therapist and still not be the best therapist for you.

When my wife and I were in therapy, it took us both a while to find a therapist with whom we were comfortable. In my opinion, the best therapists are those who listen a lot, and only talk when they have something to say. When I started experimenting with my gender identity, my therapist didn't assume I was trans. She asked some questions, listened to me, asked a lot more questions, and listened some more before she made up her mind. It sounds like your therapist may have already decided for you.

If that makes you uncomfortable, she may not be a good fit for you. As Pistachio pointed out, you are paying her for a service (either you or your insurance company on your behalf, which amounts to the same thing), so feel free to shop around until you find the right therapist for you.

I wish you the best, hon...

Morgana

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd at least give her another chance and see if you can talk more about doubts in the next appointment. If she continues to ignore your doubts and treat you like you're 100% sure you're trans, she's probably not the right therapist for you. Some therapists will rush the process and not consider options other than working towards physical transition immediately. If you're questioning your gender, you don't want a therapist like that.