1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casual androgynous clothing styles?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RyeTheDauphin, May 24, 2016.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I'm going to start trying a more androgynous/masculine look in an attempt to help cope with my recent gender confusion and dysphoria, but I'm not quite sure where to start. Lately I've just been wearing baggy pants, T-shirts and large sweaters but now I want something a bit more stylish and less boring. One look I've tried and loved is wearing jeans with a white T-shirt and a flannel on top, and I have a couple of men's shirts and suit jackets that are good for formal wear, but other than that I'm not really sure what other casual androgynous looks I could pull off without necessarily having to rearrange my entire closet or look boring.

Just in case this helps, I'm about 5 foot 10, so quite tall, pretty thin and not too muscular. I haven't got much of a figure, but it's noticeable. I've tried using sports bras to bind my chest but it hasn't really worked too well.

Any suggestions? Does anyone know of any particular clothing combinations or styles I could use that would work well, or particular clothing items I should get to look more masculine/androgynous?

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

#1 RyeTheDauphin, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like men's button downs and polos, especially because I work in an office. Button downs do a good job of hiding a small to medium chest as long as the buttons don't gape. Just make sure if you are wearing men's clothes they aren't too oversized. Sounds like you shouldn't have much of a problem at 5'10. I wish I was 5'10. I barely fit a men's small at 5'7 and 120 lb. Maybe get some dark jeans that are more fitted but still men's. You can tuck a button down into them with a belt and look smart casual. Or a t shirt, jeans and blazer/sport jacket.

---------- Post added 24th May 2016 at 09:53 AM ----------

Also, I find that having a nice belt, large face watch, and some casual loafers go a long way toward looking more masculine yet put together.

---------- Post added 24th May 2016 at 09:56 AM ----------

And socks! Get men's dress sicks in a variety of colors and patterns. No athletic socks unless you are exercising.

---------- Post added 24th May 2016 at 10:11 AM ----------

Oh yeah and I don't know what you do for underwear, but wearing manlier underwear can make you feel 1000x manlier. I wore boxers for like 4 years but my fiancee doesn't like them. They are super comfy though. Or try boxer briefs. The problem with those is they will produce a visible bulge when you are not wearing pants because they have a pouch. Tgis can be awkward if you are female identifying, but might be a good thing if not. Hanes makes some women's underwear in a more masculine style with a wider waistband as well.

#2 Rickystarr, May 24, 2016
  3. Moogle

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Moonlight! One item of clothing i think looks amaze on either gender is a nice waist coat. Doesn't have to be expensive, go for black or grey and wear it over that white t-shirt. Makes any baggy outfit look sharp :wink:

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can wear a hoodie. And when it gets boring, there is always jewelry. You can get more masculine jewelry. Or just use subtle feminine jewelry. Strings. Beads. Simple silver stuff. A watch. A cool backpack or messenger bag. Cool shoes. And get the jeans fit properly, not too tight, not too loose either. Sweater can't be too loose or too tight either. I dunno, look at the guys your age where you live and copy them. A shirt and chinos are a bit smarter. Cargo pants and a t-shirt. Vests look good. And a good coat can make a world of a difference. Patterned shirts are also casual. You can use colourful stuff of course like t-shirts (those may have prints), shoes, backpack, hoodie, pants...

---------- Post added 24th May 2016 at 12:57 PM ----------

Yeah, cool socks :grin:

5. YeahpIdk

I don't dress super androgynous, but I love when androgynous girls do a button down with a zip up hoodie or really casual blazer (or male equivalent of a blazer), and sometimes a tie with it.

T-shirts and shirts in general that are more solid and go right up to the neck are pretty androgynous. Have you searched Google for androgynous lesbians and models? You can get a really good idea of what they wear, and do the same. Good luck! :slight_smile:

6. JustJJx

My go to andro outfits usually are either skinny female jeans/baggy mens jeans with either checked shirts or crew neck sweaters! Look at getting some band merch, if you any bands you like do sweaters, i find them to be very neutral!! :slight_smile: Good luck!

7. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this list is targetted to women who like an androgynous style, but I looked at this list before I went to goodwill yesterday, and I had some serious dapper success. The list helped me figure out what the specific items that I'm missing are that help me feel good, as opposed to my usual, "I hate this outfit," response to my entire wardrobe. I've also done some ebay searches based on this list, and it's giving me results of things I really like that are helping me feel good. I can't stop telling people how much I love my watch, lol. :slight_smile:

http://www.collegefashion.net/fashi...drogynous-chic-wardrobe-plus-45-outfit-ideas/

---------- Post added 24th May 2016 at 08:58 PM ----------

Again, realizing I'm coming from the perspective of a woman who doesn't feel gender conforming rather than a trans person....

A search term that has helped me in trying to figure out what style I want is "capsule wardrobe" combined with a style word you are curious about, like, androgynous, tomboy, butch, athleisure, biker, etc. Some people try to have fewer than 30 articles of clothing that they wear for everything. I don't want to do that, but the collections they put together on blogs and stuff can be really helpful.

Here's an example of a blog post with a capsule wardrobe. Capsule Wardrobe

I think it's helpful to think about specific items I can look for that will help my clothes do what I want them to do, since I don't have a good vision for fashion. Also, I made a pinterest board about androgynous style to help me explore what I like. I made it a "secret" board just so I wouldn't feel like every facebook friend was noticing my fledgeling love of vests.

And, my watch. I <3 my watch, haha.

#7 Katchoo, May 24, 2016