1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uncomfortable, afraid, and confused about my gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Pistachio, May 24, 2016.

1. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Where to start?

I've never really cared too much about my gender until recently. Then again, before I never really saw the divide between gender and sex, or the gray area between boy and girl. I suppose I identified as a female, but I wasn't all that attached to it. I considered myself indifferent to any sort of labels or gendering.

I never understand being transgender.

It was a weirdly distant concept to me, because.. Well because I cared so little.
    And, as mentioned previously, I didn't see the difference between gender and sex, /or/ get why either were meaningful to people. Maybe it's that my social world is changing, and the divide between man and woman is becoming more apparent-
    Maybe because I've been obsessively educating myself on all the characteristics of dysphoria and all the different gender labels out there, and I've convinced myself that I'm feeling something that I'm actually not.

Or maybe it's the possibility that scares me most.
    That this is all real.
    That I'm.. transgender.

You see, I've been less than sure of my gender identity for half a year or so, and heavily questioning it on and off for a few months.
    Even in that period of time, I was pretty much able to ignore it. Push it aside, but lately it hasn't been nearly as easy.
    Around a month to two months ago I started getting little twinges of distaste when somebody called me "mam" or young lady, and cringed a bit when I was referred to as a girl. Going out to eat is crappy now because I don't like the risk of it happening and getting that feeling.

I talked to a few people about it, specifically one of my only trans friends, and he told me to just come out to people about my confusion little by little.. But it's hard. When I was coming out to people as a gay girl, it was a hell of a lot less... I dunno... Touchy?
    For some reason or another, straying from your assigned gender is such a taboo subject.
    And I keep regretting that I said a single word about it. I guess not telling anybody was my way of hiding from it.
    I can't hide anymore.

A week ago I cut my hair pretty short.
    It was a really emotional experience for me, considering the fact that it's just.. Hair.
    When I first saw it.. My immediate thought was-
    "Wow. I look like a dude."
    And it made me smile.

But here's the rub, I guess.
    Now that from the neck up I look exactly how I think I feel, I notice the slight mismatch with everything else. Like before I cut my hair. I could just see myself in the mirror and think, I look like a girl. And I don't quite feel like a girl. Now that I cut my hair, I look at my face in the mirror and think, I look like a boy.
    And I think I feel that way too.
    If that makes any sense at all.
    And.. I'm starting to wish I had a chest binder.

And all of this is terrifying to me.
    I don't know if it's just a phase or not. And if it's not, what will that mean for me in the future?
    Coming out to my parents?
    Hormones??
    Surgery???
    My anxiety tends to grip on to anything slightly unnerving or stressful and make it seem like the actual end of the world, so that's not helping.

I don't know..
    Maybe I'll edit this later..
    I'm just really stressed and I needed to get the whole story down..

Thanks for listening.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You sound a lot like me and about in the same stage as me. How old are you?

3. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thirteen, and frequently accused of acting like a thirty year old... Though I don't think I'm quite that eloquent haha.

4. BlueAvalanche

I feel very similar to you.. i'm bio-female, I recently cut my hair, I never thought about gender/sex and I pushed it aside, I don't rly know how to help with this, but i know that you don't need to rush anything, no matter age. :slight_smile:

5. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people

Thank you :slight_smile: If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

6. BlueAvalanche

Ahh thanks!! I can't send you a private message for a while because im new,, but we can talk on here if you are comfortable with that?? if not, thats fine too, andrew!! :slight_smile: im blue by the way, he/him or they/them

#6 BlueAvalanche, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  7. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, sure!! Talking here is totally fine. :icon_bigg
    Nice to meet you Blue!

8. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm going through something similar at the moment and I'm only a couple of years older than you. I've been slightly confused and wanting to present as more androgynous for about a year, but it's gotten more intense over the past couple of months and I still don't know if this means I'm trans or non-binary or just butch...I just don't know.

Just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one. I also get slightly annoyed by female-gendered language, I'm going to get my hair cut short soon and I've lately been using sports bras to bind (you can put one on and then another one on backwards on top - how well it will work will depend on the size of the bra and your breasts, but it's been helpful so far).

Just try working out how you can present in a more masculine way if that's what you want, try talking to some people, whether online or irl, about this if you feel it's really bad, and I'm sure you'll work it all out at some point. :slight_smile:

9. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks a whole heap. And for the binding tips as well. :thumbsup:
    I have talked to my mom recently about getting some sports bras because I've heard they can be used to bind, and getting something from like gc2b or underworks would require coming out to my parents, which I'm not sure I'm ready for yet.. I'm just sick of wearing a massive hoodie every day to hide my chesticles (yes I've started calling them that hah. Judge me if you want to) and the only other solution is to slouch even more than I used to.
    Good luck to you!

10. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

Don't worry, I relate to about everything you say here. When I used to think i was female, I hardly felt any connection to it either. I also felt very emotional like that when I cut my hair. I can relate to wishing I had a binder, and seeing myself in the mirror and feeling like I'm looking back at a boy no matter what.

11. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    <3

12. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey I just looked back at this. You are so young! You are indeed very eloquent for your age, any age really. I feel just like you and I am ten years your senior >.<. Maybe it is just because trans stuff was not talked about at all when I was your age.

13. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks haha :')
    It's the sort of stuff they should teach in sex Ed but don't, no? Till then I'll just have to scrape by on transgender YouTube videos and webcomics~