1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home workouts for trans guys

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alder, May 25, 2016.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been trying to get into an exercise habit but with very little experience (and rare access to the gym), it's hard to know where to start. All I have at home is a yoga mat and a bed frame I can do dips from.

My main goals are to work on my arms and shoulders, but also ab muscles, and while I know it'll be hard to build muscle mass fast, I at least just want to get stronger.

I want to work forearms, biceps, and triceps but all I've been doing are some push ups and tricep dips, occasionally sit ups for abs, and not that consistently (probably why I haven't been getting much result). I'm pretty damn weak right now and even if I wanted to do a long hour long workout or something, I doubt that I can. But I'm not sure how to work myself up to there.

Any tips for pretty intensive work outs I can do at home? What kind of exercises besides push ups/tricep dips/sits ups could I do with virtually no equipment around, to work on those muscle groups?
    I know diet plays a role too if I want to build muscle, is there anything in particular I should be aware of or just keep stocking up on the carbs and protein?

Thanks!

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly what I was wondering too! My P.E. teacher said that squats, push-ups and shoulder curls(? Where you lift a dumbbell from your shoulder to straight up and back again) were some of the best exercises as they work more than one muscle but other than that I don't know, sorry.

3. someone29017

someone29017 Guest

Fitnessblender on youtube has a bunch of different ab and arm workouts you can do or just watch to learn exercises from. You can just search something like "bodyweight arm workout" and it should come up. Also, if you want to work on your arms a set of dumbbells would probably be useful. And definitely try to be consistent and workout a few times a week.

hope that helps ^_^

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Get a pull up bar and/or bands. They are very versatile and fairly cheap.

5. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have some resistance bands, you can do lots of different exercises with them and mine has the ability to add or subtract bands to the handles.

So you could got from 10 to 100lbs with just the basic set and they are fairly cheap, they also don't take up much room. They easily all fit in a small drawer.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scooby1961 has a video on his channel for working out at home as a teen, and I found it really helpful. Maybe it can help yoiu too.

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pull up bars are fairly cheap. I have one that adjusts - the bar swings down so you can work your arms even if you can't do a full pull up, or if you want to work other muscles. It's great!

Varying your exercise is supposed to give you the best results, so don't stick to a daily routine of the same type of exercise. Mix up cardio with strength training. Also I believe I read that doing a round of cardio prior to strength training might help make the strength building exercises more effective, but I can't remember for sure.

You could try dynamic tension. It's pretty much my go to method because I'm afraid of the gym.

8. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you everyone. I'll give the advice a try.