1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with hair (ftm)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by relinor, May 25, 2016.

1. relinor

So, I posted something like this in a different section, but I thought it might be more helpful to post here..?

Anyways - I'm trying to find a haircut that will help me pass more and would like to switch my hair up a bit. This is what my hair looks like + a little grown out atm. http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x378/elinor54/tumblr_o5w81rT54H1u7fc2qo1_1280_zpsgbo71reh.jpg

What styles do you think would help me to pass the best? Would I be able to pass with long hair (I think it seems unlikely lol, but who knows).

#1 relinor, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd reduce those sideburns, and square them off, and square off the back too. Small changes but they make a difference.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd go short back and sides, its a really generic cut and can make a whole lot of difference from a pixie cut. Maybe grade 2/3 to start with and you can cut it shorter from there. Like the above poster said, squaring really helps, you can also ask them to square off the hairline too and get rid of baby hairs. Also, when you style your hair push it back instead of having it forward because that gives people more of a feminine look.

Obviously these are all just tips, you have whichever hairstyle you want.

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Pixie points aside, here's my two cents.

- I notice when I go in for a cut, that there's a 50/50 chance I need to ask the stylist (I don't have a regular stylist at this point) to clean up the back. When men get their hair cut, the back hairline is always trimmed up and evened out with a razor if the cut is short. If you go short enough to warrant that hairline being cleaned up, make sure it's done. They don't always do this with short women's styles.

- Short messy looks have good and bad points. I wore one for a while and looked much more masculine, when I styled it right. I also looked a decade younger, which isn't cool when I was going to 21+ events. I don't know how old you are, but it's something to consider if you don't want to be seen as too young - is it a tameable cut for events that you should look more refined for, or when you try to tame it down, do you end up with unfortunate "Beiber-hair"? We already look years younger than we are, so this can work for or against us.

- If you go too short, all that softness in your face will be inescapably obvious. It's happened to me. Too many times. And my face is quite round, so it was a terrible mistake. TERRIBLE. I am not Annie Lennox and this hair did not work on me.

[​IMG]

- On the other hand, if it's long enough to sweep it across your forehead, you might want to avoid doing that. You also want to avoid tucking it behind your ears.

Personally I have a tendency to go for this:

[​IMG]

Short back and sides, long on top. Can be styled into both refined retro and loose contemporary looks.

But shorter, undercut looks are becoming popular regardless of gender, so guess who gets "ma'am"-ed all the time? On the one hand, it's somewhat ambiguous; on the other, it's somewhat ambiguous. :confused:

What matters at the end of the day is that you are happy with your hair! Different things work for different people, so there's no real hard set rules for anything.

#4 clockworkfox, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  5. thepandaboss

Along with the tips the other guys gave you...

- Invest in a little gel. I personally swear by this stuff but anything with a light/medium hold looks like it'd work for your hair type

- Your hairline will change on T. Until then, keep it trimmed. If you grow it out you can wear a hat to hide hairline (but I don't think it makes a huge difference- least not for me).

- Go short but don't go Sinead O'Connor short until you're on T. You need a little bit of hair to help bring out your jaw but too much can look femme (if it's not styled right), too little brings out the soft features in your face.

You can take a look at some of these styles but your mileage may vary.

It's also helpful to understand barbershop lingo before you get a cut so you can ask for precisely what you want.

6. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have much advice aside form what others are saying.. BUT
    YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO USE PHOTOBUCKET. We can see your account on there and that's Against The rules. For future reference.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second the above advice.

Also, if you are unable or not allowed to get it cut short, try tying it up in a knot or man-bun. Add a hat and it looks like you've got short hair. Or without a hat, you can still pull off a "samurai" look. Best wishes.

8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Probably style it up at the front. You already pass as a young boy I would say :wink:

9. relinor

O. I'm so sorry! Thank you for letting me know, I'll make sure to remember that in the future.

I'll definitely work on getting those "sideburns" squared off then! I would like probably like to keep some hair in the back though..

How short is short enough do you guys think? Definitely not like Annie Lennox short :grin:

Thank you!!!

And thanks everyone else for the really great tips!

10. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another tip, hairdressers need to be told specifically what you want or they will give you a pixie cut. Go in there knowing what you want and don't be afraid to assert yourself.

---------- Post added 27th May 2016 at 10:44 AM ----------

I have been having this problem for years. It is very frustrating but if I was more assertive and aware I could avoid it. I cut my own hair now.

11. relinor

Ya, the last time I went in I got this very feminine cut even though it's not what I asked for oops. I just have to be very direct - which I'm not always good at but I think I've learned my lesson lol.

Question - How do you get the back? When I cut my hair, I'd always have problems with the back, do you just have a friend do it?

12. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my bathroom there are two mirrors opposite each other which allows me to see the back and I just get a regular razor and some shaving cream and shave a stright line when it starts getting too messy. A friend works too though, or your phone camera and a razor/clippers.

13. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I bought some $30 wohl clippers at walmart. The back is tricky to do by yourself at first, but I actually prop a full body mirror up on the toilet behind me and the medicine cabinet/mirror. I open the mirror/cabinet door to the right angle so I can see behind me without having to hold a hand mirror. This is nerve wracking at first but you get used to doing everything backwards. Start slow. Take off the guard to clean up the hairline at the back of your neck. I taught my fiancee how to do it for me which is easier, but it is possible to do yourself. Try watching youtube videos if you are nervous.

Cutting my own hair has eased a lot of my stress and I would highly recommend it. With clippers it is super easy.

Oh yeah take off the guard to square off sideburns as well.

#13 Rickystarr, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  14. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really need to do this. I have the clippers. I just don't have the nerves. I'm afraid of messing up.

Of course I also have a SO, and she has hair ties, and together we have 4 hands and a little patience...

15. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's really fun and pretty easy! My fiancee likes it because she has more control over my hair now. XD wost thing that can happen is it will look a little silly and you will have to buzz it all the same length.

16. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know much about what styles work better, but with the one I have now I pass 100 percent I think. And thats not because my face is particularly angled or anything, my face is about as feminine as most trans guys. So that's why I think it must be something about my hair. I don't take much care with my it, but I ALWAYS use hair putty and just work that through all the hair and push my fringe to the side and up a bit. So my hair is mostly short back and sides with a bit of a mullet and a longish fringe which goes down to my nose if I wet it straight down. Also my hair has a cowlick at the front so this makes it naturally curve up anyway.
    But I do know that having squared off sideburn bits isn't something you often see on girls and it'll help make your jaw more square looking. I've also heard of trans guys saying that you should shave off peach fuzz on the face because it actually makes more of a difference than you might think. I did try it once and it seemed to make my face look more manly, so yeah, you could try the whole shaving thing. Get a good razor though, because some cheap ones I've seen rust, and that'll screw up your face if you cut yourself.

17. relinor

18. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Looks awesome! I honestly think you look almost twice as masculine now, and quite a bit older as well! Sideburns look great. I told you. :wink:

19. EstoraIsSoQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shaving the sides and getting it short on top will really help! Your hair colour looks awesome btw!

20. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks snazzy :wink: