1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to convince my mum that binders are safe?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lacybi, May 26, 2016.

1. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my parents today and it went about the same as last time. Great. Anyway, my mum said that she doesn't like the idea of a binder because she thinks it doesn't sound safe. I said that they're a compression vest and that cheap binders from eBay aren't safe but as long as gc2b ones aren't worn for more that 8-12 hours they should be fine blah blah blah and she still doesn't like the idea. Any ideas how I could change her mind?

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tell her they are basically like sports bras. I find mine more comfortable than a sportsbra personally because it doesn't cut into my ribs.

---------- Post added 26th May 2016 at 12:28 PM ----------

Also maybe mention that they are a safer alternative to the do it yourself methods such as ace bandages that many ftms resort to if they can't get a binder.

3. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Patrick! And even if she is still skeptical about the effects of binding on your physical health, she may relent if you emphasize how much it will benefit your emotional health.