1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Presentation and Testosterone

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BlueAvalanche, May 27, 2016.

1. BlueAvalanche

Hi, Blue here, I feel like I might be a trans guy, but im still too unsure to say for certain, haha.

Generally, I like dressing in an androgynous style. I'm AFAB, and I look quite feminine in face and figure, but if it were up to me i'd have a male body and generally an androgynous figure and face. I like dresses and frilly things, as well as pastel colours, but most of the time I like masculine clothing.

This makes me very nervous about the idea of taking testosterone, as I want to keep somewhat androgynous features so that I can look the way I want all the time, and it seems like it would be harder with secondary male characteristics. That and i'm not to sure about certain parts of the act of physically taking testosterone, because while it would help when I want to wear suit and masc clothes, I might yet yelled slurs on the street if I dress femme.

To anyone who feels similar, your opinion would be great!! :grin:

2. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may be helpful for you to lay out what sort of characteristics taking testosterone will give you, and decide whether the effects that would make you happier outweigh any doubts you may have. Another thing, since you have a pretty feminine appearance at the moment, and T isn't like a magic elixir to turn you into a bio-male, it's unlikely that it'll make you look super duper masculine right away. I'm no expert, but I think especially if you take it in smaller amounts, that won't be an issue at all. :slight_smile:
    Particulary if you're still a minor like I am, try not to worry too much about planning out whether or not to transition and how until you're older. This is probably super hypocritical of me, but take it easy on yourself if you can. (*hug*)
    All in good time. :thumbsup:

3. BlueAvalanche

Thank you, your comments about taking it in small amounts really helped Andrew!! I need to stop worrying so much about my identity, but as many people on this site know, that can be very hard when your constantly pushed to find a label for yourself!! :')

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Long ago I was struggling with labels too. Then a friend said to me that she'd "slap a label on me - awesome". That really helped me be more honest with myself and what I wanted and accept my feelings in their entirety.
    *Aherm*. Anyway. ^_^ Um, there's always the opportunity to start on low dosages etc., and androgyny is yours for the taking regardless of if you go on T or not, I think. I mean, it's super easy for a lot of AFABs to pass as male/masculine even without T (the other way around is usually more difficult).

Are you in contact with any counselor, therapist, or so? Starting the talks might be a good idea, that way you can get a lot of insight on yourself at the same time as you'll be closer to starting T if you make that decision later on.

Good luck. .^.

5. BlueAvalanche

I'm glad your able to be more honest and comfortable with yourself, I really admire that, and I hope to get there one day!!

I am in therapy, and I trust my therapist, so that should go down well with her, i'm looking forward to getting into my deepest thoughts- I hope to become more content!!

As for passing as androgynous, i've always been told i'm very feminine, though I think with a bit of effort I could pass as androgynous at the least!!

And it's true that's it's easier for AFAB people to pass as their desired gender, sine AMAB people have more secondary sex characteristics!! But we should try are best not to worry about the opinions of people on the street, though that can be hard when our appearences don't reflect who we really are...

6. JessicaJones

I know someone who takes a testosterone supplement. When you have a T-deficiency, it's really more about mood and energy and long-term health. You'd have to take a lot for it to really effect your physical appearance. I'm not a doctor though.

#6 JessicaJones, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016