1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender non-conforming?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sayonara, May 29, 2016.

1. Sayonara

Sayonara Guest

Having been anxious about my gender identity lately, i come across a label I think i might be comfortable with: gender nonconforming.

I wouldn't have to be be forced under the "female" label and I wouldn't have to be restricted from other feelings, identities, and presentations I DO like because I don't "qualify." It would be nice. I could just be a person.

However, from what I've seen, gender nonconforming is a term just used to describe people (mostly children) who simply just stray from their expected gender roles, but I don't see it being used as an identity.

Could gender nonconforming be a gender identity? Are there people out there who are gender nonconforming and can explain what it means and what its like to be so? Thanks.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey KipKip, and welcome to EC!

I came to a realization a few weeks ago that I was GNC, and for me, that just means that I am not bound by any antiquated gender roles and that I have a mixture of stereotypically masculine, feminine and androgynous traits. It's weird, because while I do identify with being a guy, I don't know if I'm 100% cis, and as I continue figuring out my gender and my identity I could potentially be trans, but for now, I think that just saying that I am a GNC male is what works for me. GNC is a legitimate gender identity, and you can be trans and GNC or cis and GNC. I'm still beginning to test out what feels right for me, but currently while my appearance tends to be very stereotypically masculine, I hold many feminine and androgynous traits as well, and I don't feel like it's correct to put me into just any socially constructed box, which is what gender nonconformity is. :slight_smile: