1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I really screwed up, and I'm losing it

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by HunterX, May 29, 2016.

1. HunterX

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm genderfluid and I hate it. I thought I was FTM, started hormones, and thought that things would be better, but the doubts I'm having are too strong to just be anxiety. Right now, I'm a girl. Fortunately, I know that I can just stop the hormones and since I'm early enough in taking them, I'm still very female looking and don't have a super deep voice yet. Unfortunately, I still do feel male a lot, and when I do, the dysphoria is too damn real. I've started my social transition, and I don't know how to go back without receiving hella judgement. And I'm not sure if I even should. Maybe I'll just hate myself regardless.

I transitioned too damn soon and I don't know how to go back. And at the same time, half the time I don't want to.

I don't know who I am. And what little I do know is me I loath. And instead of accepting who that is, I think I've just been running and trying to become someone else who I'd rather be.

I hate my body so much. And this confusion I'm having is driving me further and further insane. I just want to be happy in one spot but I'm not. I've gone months thinking I was happy and not wanting to kill myself but I feel completely lost and hopeless again. I don't know what to do anymore...

How do you accept yourself and become happy with yourself? I need to do so or I'll die but it seems so impossible. :help:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

You are far from alone, so don't beat yourself up because you're unsure. There's nothing wrong with tapering off the hormones (I wouldn't stop abruptly without advice from the prescribing physician) and taking some time to figure out who you are and what you want.

This is where really good therapy is crucial... to help people really explore themselves and gain a good understanding of where they're at, explore other underlying issues (for example, anxiety) that can complicate getting a clear understanding of dysphoria, and help you figure out the direction you want to go.

There are a substantial number of people who experience gender dysphoria in their teen years and even early twenties for whom the dysphoria resolves without the need or desire to transition. And there are also quite a few people who have co-occuring issues, such as anxiety, unresolved sexual trauma, and other factors that can muddy the waters.

As for de-transitioning... what matters here is you. Anyone who genuinely cares about you will love and accept you regardless of any difficulties you're having in understanding yourself. And if you later decide that transitioning is the right choice... they should support that decision as well. People who can't understand and accept that you're in struggle about this are people you don't need to share your experiences with.

I do think, before you do anything else, that you need to spend some real, quality time in therapy with a really good therapist, not even focusing on the gender issue, but on the underlying anxiety and exploring to see if there are other issues, and only then looking at the gender piece. In that way, you're rooting out the complicating factor and can then figure out where you are on the gender continuum. This won't be a rapid process -- perhaps 6 months, perhaps longer -- but I think the benefits of doing this will be immeasurable.

And in the meantime, keep talking about what's going on for you here. Just sharing your story and having people listen and comment is one of the best things you can do to help ease the anxiety and gain a better understanding of yourself.

3. gryf

Hunterx, I have such great empathy and sympathy for those in your position. I can only imagine being uncomfortable in your own body. And the struggle that comes with that.

I completely agree with chip. Therapy is your best option here. And remember, if the first therapist isn't understanding isn't working for you, you can get another.

Writing things down is a great way to help clarify. I've done so here and in a journal with great successes.

I'll try and keep reading your posts and see if I can offer help it support any way I can.

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is what I'm afraid of when I consider transition...I'm sorry you are still having so many doubts. That is scary. Especially having to go back on your word.