1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's it like for trans people in UK?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jaska, May 30, 2016.

1. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum is saying we are probably going to be moving to England in a year or two. I'm worried because I know that the NZ care system for trans people is one of the best in the world and I've been told that the UK is worse. Aswell as worrying about that I am terrified at having to come out at school all over again, except this time I won't have any friends to help me out. I don't even want to move to England, I love NZ and this is my home country.
    So I want to hear from any trans people in the uk what it is like being transgender there. How is the social side of things and how does all the medical things work/is hard to get surgery and T?
    I'm probably able to start T very soon but I'm worried that I won't be able to in the UK. It's nearly impossible for trans people to get surgery in NZ, and I am very stressed to have my top surgery done as soon as possible. So how does that work in the UK?

2. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I live in the UK, and honestly just be prepared to meet people who won't support you. There are definitely a lot of people who will, but try not to go to a catholic school. Seriously, I go to one and my friend "isn't aloud to express het bisexuality"...she's pansexual and the school is just ugh.
    But don't worry, you'll encounter tonnes of people who will support you here. If you do happen to have to talk to some annoying idiot, just remember that they don't matter.

Also, I believe that some surgeries are free with the NHS if you're under 18, but I don't know a lot about it over here.

P.S buy a brolly, you're gonna need it.

3. randomconnorcon

England. Let's see.

People. Personally, it'll depend in part on where you move to and who you meet, much like anywhere else. Cities are often easier to be more yourself than smaller towns. Some people will be assholes, others will be there for you. I'd hope that coming out might be a little easier, because you can go straight to who you are without them distinguishing between you and the person they thought you were. In terms of government, it's pretty easy to change your name, changing your gender takes a couple of years of 'real life experience' before a (gender) therapist sends a letter as a written statement of your gender change for a gender recognition form. Hormones and surgery are covered by the NHS (healthcare). It can take years for even an appointment, but once you're been seen by an actual therapist they will talk you through everything. Though, if you're starting T in NZ, you may not have to go through all of that. You'll already be on T, so that would be something to talk to a GP about. It'd be best to make sure you have all the information on hand when talking to a GP; many aren't familiar with trans issues.

Not all Catholic schools are bad. I went to one and the majority of LGBT kids who were out were actually in my year. Of course there are bullies, but the school itself can be good. None of the kids were trans, though, and I didn't come out in school, so that'll be something only you can find out for sure.

That's all I can remember for now, but if you have any other specific questions I'll be happy to find the answer for you.

#3 randomconnorcon, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just going to say it how it is.

Medically you're going to find things difficult. First you have to find a GP and I'm not sure how that works for people who immigrate here. Once you get a GP they can refer you to a GIC (gender identity clinic) and the waiting times are around 12 months at the moment but there are some with shorter waiting times (The Laurels in Exeter) just depends where you end up living. You're also only going to be able to be referred to an adult GIC once you're 18, as you're 16 you're going to have to be referred to The Tavistock child's clinic in London and they assess you and then, if needed, administer hormone blockers and you need to be on blockers for at least a year before they'll give you T. Surgeries you can get on the NHS but, again, the waiting times are very long and I think you need to be on T for a year before you can get top surgery and you definitely need to have been on hormones for a year or two before they let you have bottom surgery. So you also need to be over 18 before any surgery is talked about, although there are one or two private surgeons around the country who have done top surgery on 17 year olds. Honestly I don't know much about how much you can get on the NHS if you immigrate so you definitely should research that more.

About socially transitioning the experience is different for everyone. Personally I had an okay time, my friends were all supportive and I haven't had any shit from anyone which has been great. That might be something to do with me being a bit older and people caring less about others in general if things aren't directly affecting them. Honestly being able to move to a different place altogether might be a blessing in some ways, that's what I'm looking forward to about uni in September. Being able to introduce yourself with the right name and pronouns and no one knows any differently. They can't misgender you or use your birth name, they won't have old photos to bring up. In a year or two, at college or university, you really shouldn't have any trouble with people. I know so many trans people at my college and they all have friends and are pretty accepted. You'll find your clique.

---------- Post added 30th May 2016 at 11:42 PM ----------

Oh yeah, as CJ said, if you start T in NZ then your GP will more than likely keep you on it and you shouldn't have to go through the GIC waiting times but that's something to discuss with them. I really doubt they'd take you off hormones if you'd already started.

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys, it's a relief to hear some good news. I was also looking back on some of the old threads on similar topics. I think I will probably try and get all the name and passport etc changes and start T here, first, because it sounds like it's less hoops to jump through. But I do have a specific question: for doing T, do you HAVE to do the injections yourself, and about how often? I know that in NZ a nurse can always do it and it's about every 3 weeks to start off with. I'm pretty scared of needles so....

#5 jaska, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  6. randomconnorcon

I think the first times a nurse does it and they teach you to do it yourself. At least, that's my assumption. I could be wrong. I also assume you can talk to them about coming in and them doing it instead.

7. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on the kind of T, so, again, you'll have to bring up prescriptions with your GP because in England people *usually *get prescribed nebido which is one injection every 6 weeks that a nurse gives you but there are other forms which you might have to inject weekly etc. and there are often nurses in the GP surgeries who are able to administer it for you. All depends on the type of testosterone as to how often you need injections. There is also gel which needs to be applied daily which some people prefer.

8. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In England... You get plenty of assholes just like everywhere in the world but not very many super conservative religious people (i have like never met or seen one anywhere) so I think it's better than for example, America, but I dunno about NZ. Either people are gonna be twats or they will say nothing no matter what they think. And generally it will be the latter unless they're just low life's - that's how British people are. I would recommend trying to move to Brighton maybe - its like the LGBT capital. London... there are lots of buroughs and unless you're rich your gonna end up in a less well off one which will be rougher and really not ideal. I sound really fucking classist in this or something but I'm not I'm pretty poor haha.

9. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I think Brighton is one of the places we are considering actually. Also the Bristol/Bath/Glastonbury area, or otherwise somewhere around Birmingham because that's where our family are. It won't be anywhere right near the city, but nearby. So it could well end up being a small village, which from what others have said, means that everyone knows everyone, and that's what I'd be worried about. Thanks for the help SACH :slight_smile:

10. Synesthesia

Glastonbury is a lovely place (though I've only been once it's small, but seems quite open minded since it's a 'new age' community,) and Brighton would probably be the best choice.

#10 Synesthesia, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  11. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I swear if we move to Glastonbury I'm gonna build myself a mudhut in the forest and become a wizard :grin:
    And maybe make occasional skirmishes into the town to pick up supplies of alchemy ingredients and fantastical foods....