1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scientific articles?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Secrets5, May 31, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Does anybody have any scientific articles on non-binary gender. Perhaps specifically on agender but any would be okay.

I identify as agender and that's 99%* probability of what I am, but I haven't read any scientific articles on it beyond ''science says there are more than two genders'' [which I'm assuming includes the lack of] but I haven't read anything in detail for it.

*It would be 100% but other people saying I'm just a ''confused young adult'' amoungst other things worries me that it isn't real. I think reading a scientific article would be able to confirm my identity more for me than non-scientific people (religious or atheist) who don't yet understand.

Thank-you.

2. Synesthesia

Honestly there's almost nothing. The only thing I remember seeing was this one 'study' on bigender people but all they did was try and find patterns among a very small sample size (I believe taken from an online community,) and then provide some hypotheses. That was back in 2012, so I think we'll be waiting a while.

Alternating gender incongruity: a new neuropsychiatric syndrome providing insight into the dynamic plasticity of brain-sex. - PubMed - NCBI

It's difficult I imagine because of the large variance among non-binary people.

#2 Synesthesia, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might have to look at pieces done on binary cis and trans people.
    I remember one study that said that some binary trans people brains do match up with the gender they identify with, especially if they had been on hormones. But it also seemed that trans brains were different from male or female brains, especially if they hadn't been on hormones yet. Kind of like they fell into a midway zone where some leaned more one way than the other, while others seemed to be a mix or different from the others.

If I have time after my classes I'll see if I can find the articles and link them