1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding a Gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Pb123, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Pb123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi,
    I'm a bit unsure about my gender identity, and feel perhaps gender neutral. It's confusing. In primary school, I didn't feel completely like a girl, but conformed to society's expectations of a 'girl' because others did. Sometimes I forgot I had a gender until I was reminded that I was a girl. Sometimes I felt a bit like a boy. High school was when all the questioning began.

I feel a bit masculine, but a bit feminine at times. People still say I'm a girl, and I know what girls are expected to be like these days, but I don't completely feel like one. I don't feel like a boy either. I get along with boys easier. Sometimes I feel trapped in a girls body, and other times I don't care at all. I would rather have a more boy physique because it feels more 'me', but it depends on the day and mood.

In the past I have experienced body dysmorphia, and am now starting to wonder whether it could be related, at all, to these feelings.

I've had short hair for half a year now because I don't want to be seen as 'completely' female. Because of this, some people give strange looks and/or mistake me for a boy - but for some reason I like being mistaken for male. For some reason I feel a certain relief when strangers notice I'm female - I think it's because I'm so used to people knowing my sex. I prefer pronoun 'she' over 'he' - it feels more comfortable.

My current clothes would be seen as mostly 'girl-ish' clothes - t-shirts and jeans. I want to buy more neutral clothes and/or try some boy clothes. I just don't know where to start - I haven't expressed these feelings properly with anyone I know. I feel quite hesitant about doing so.

Thanks, please let me know about any suggestions