1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my sister today

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My therapist and I both decided it is time I start telling some family members, and my sister seems like a good starting place since she is least likely to freak out. We are having lunch in a few hours, so wish me luck and I hope I don't chicken out!

My sister is already fairly on board with the fact that I am not truly female and she treats me as such. The fact that I intend to transition medically (and socially) some day may still be very shocking for her. She just sees me as a guyish lesbian like most people, but she is also somewhat privy to some of my discomfort in female roles and being addressed as such.

I will let you all know how this goes!

#1 Rickystarr, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  2. vertical

vertical Guest

Good luck!

3. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How exciting!! Best of luck, Patrick

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Went pretty well. Her first reaction was literally "who cares?" Though she did agree our mom was going to make things weird. It is reassuring that she didn't make a big deal about it (not that I expected her to, but damn) but I don't think she really understands. She talked about how dumb gender is in general, asked if I would grow a dick, talked about how that is cool but she doesn't like Caitlyn Jenner (and misgendered her), and then compared my transition to getting a tattoo.

5. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh.. Better than having her flip out. It'll take time and multiple conversations for her to really get it, but it's a good start at least.

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sister told her husband, which I was a little worried about because he has not been super supportive of transfolk in the past and he and I used to be close...but he said life is too short to put stuff off because of how other people will react and I should just go for it and he wouldn't even bother telling my mom because she will "shit all over it and tell everyone". If only it were that easy. Sounds like a good way to get disinherited! Lol but yeah so three people know now, and oddly they have all basically told me to just get on with it already. And no one has been particularly surprised so I guess I wasn't as subtle as I thought. XD