1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using gender neutral language

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Katchoo, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, friends.

Ooh, ^^that's^^ a good example of what I'm trying to talk about. :slight_smile:

I'm trying to be more aware of the gendered language I use when I talk to people, including the children I work with. I'm trying to talk about them being a "Good kid" instead of a "Good boy" or "You look nice" instead of "You look pretty" or better yet "You've worked hard to take care of your body today. Good job! You deserve that."

I can usually come up with a gender neutral way to talk about kids, because those social situations are pretty casual. I struggle more with adults because formal language is more gendered and I can't come up with acceptable gender neutral options that maintain formality. For example, I could just call the person by their first name rather than Ms./Mr. Last Name, but sometimes calling them by their first name is inappropriate. And in our rural, southern town, people are very serious about saying Sir and Ma'am, and people often use Ms./Mr. plus the first name for a wide variety of reasons. Mr. Jack and Ms. Jane. Sigh.

So, what gender neutral language do people know about that I can use in place of things like ladies/gentleman, sir/ma'am, Ms./Mr., etc? Especially ways that still maintain some level of formality for professional situations and for my local cultural situation that gets offended if you don't have a touch of formality in most interactions

Thanks!

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sir was a gender neutral name meaning ''of highest rank'' in the Army before women were dropped - but since women are now able to go back into the Army - perhaps this could be used as GN again.

Sir and Dame, used in the UK by the Queen, is the gendered form of ''Knight'' so you could use that, but that's really in the context of having an MBE etc.

If you are going to be knowing the person for a long time, you could just ask what they'd prefer.

3. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish more people would do this >.< I just avoid using gendered language like sir or ma'am, ladies, girls, boys, gentlemen, etc. "Guys" is appropriate in most situations these days. Or "ya'll" lol.

---------- Post added 3rd Jun 2016 at 10:56 AM ----------

Also I have a genderfluid friend who uses gender neutral "they" for everyone unless they say they prefer gendered pronouns, such in the case of binary transfolk. I've started doing this sometimes as well.

5. Morgana

When I was in the SCA, they would address a group of people as "gentles" as in, "Good gentles, the feast is served." That might do for a bit more formal occasion where, "hey guys" just doesn't do it. They/their works for gender neutral individual pronouns, but can be cumbersome since people will initially assume you're speaking about more than one person. For being an ungendered language (as in nouns don't have gender like in French or Spanish), English has a lot of gendered terminology...

I tend to ask people what pronouns they prefer if I have any doubt at all, then go with that.

Hope that helps even a little...

Morgana

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Guys" is both gendered and very informal. I tend to use "folks", which isn't good for really formal situations but is sufficiently respectful to be used in many cases.

Honestly, there aren't a whole lot of gender neutral substitutions for Mr./Ms. or ma'am/sir that don't sound awkward or strange. Gendering language in situations like that is kinda unavoidable.

7. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do this all the time.

I STARTED doing this truthfully though because I seem to always forget peoples names.

8. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its difficult to remove all gendered language when referring to people. I often use they if I'm talking about someone who I'm not sure of pronouns. I make a conscious effort not to use the term 'guys' around any trans people DMAB but otherwise that's a generic term for addressing people. My dad shouts 'kids' when calling to my sister and I, rather than 'girls' so kids is a good one to get into the habit of like you said. I don't think it should be made into a massive deal though, unfortunately gendered language is unavoidable at the moment because gender neutral terms are so unknown that you can't really use them in everyday situations.

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I tend to leave out gendered nouns when possible. Instead of, "Good morning, ma'am/sir," I'll just say, "Good morning."

For myself, obviously I'm more comfortable using terms like "kid" or "person", and will use "they/them/their" in cases where the other person's gender isn't known, or they prefer those pronouns.

10. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What about getting the attention of a stranger? Around here, people use sir/maam a lot, so, "Excuse me, sir?" to get someone to turn around can really hurt their feelings if they don't identify as sir.

11. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just simply say "Excuse me" and eliminate sir or ma'am

12. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll keep trying that. I generally find that the person does not turn around.

13. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just shout :wink: Or pat them on the shoulder. That's what people do about me.

14. entopen

#14 entopen, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  15. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

When possible in more professional situations you could use an alternative descriptor or their job title:
    "Their teacher said..."
    "The manager is..."
    Etc.
    I've also started myself trying to practice that in my thoughts to, like if I think "that man..." I'll try to think that person instead. Better way of thinking, plus it's more practice for when you want to speak more gender neutrally to others.

16. faustian1

Didn't Abraham Lincoln once use, "Fellow Citizens?"

This is not a hard and fast rule. If you know a woman in the south (where I'm not from--I'm a Yankee) who is traditional that way, I don't see anything wrong with addressing her as "Ma'am." Nor is it inappropriate to refer to a female Senator charing a committee as the "Chairwoman."

Then again, in groups of people with fluid gender roles and indeterminate situations, your observations pose thought-provoking questions. We should realize that not being gratuitously offensive is our goal. And that is somewhat different than being "politically correct," although it is a similar way to state the same.

#16 faustian1, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  17. FierceQueerdo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like "folks" and "y'all" but they're hardly formal. I think English might lack a common way of addressing a group of people formally while also being neutral. Time to make "folks" formal!

18. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think cis people have any idea how hurtful it is to be called "ma'am/sir" when you are trans (if it is the wrong one). So I am just really glad to know that at least one person is trying to be more aware of this. I'm not a huge fan of political correctness in general, but if you can avoid making one person feel borderline suicidal for a few hours, then I would think it would be worth it to just cut gendered language out of our vocabulary as much as possible. It has gotten to the point where I avoid going anywhere "formal" because they are the ones that say "ma'am" and "ladies" more than anyone and it just...eats away at you.

That being said, it might not be as big of a deal if you are referring to someone who is clearly identifying with their sex, but why do people look at me in all men's clothes with a men's haircut and feel the need to remind me of my sex every fifteen minutes?? But at the same time, who knows what anyone is thinking even if they seem conforming.

Totally not arguing your post or attacking your opinion btw. Just adding my two cents. I think you are right in general and especially when you say the goal is to not be gratuitously offensive.

#18 Rickystarr, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  19. faustian1

Thanks for responding to my post. One thing all the brouhaha about bathrooms has done for me is to provoke some thought about the generally invisible among us who may be hurt by things we say out of custom. At first, I thought it was almost beside the point, as I long have studied the youth suicide rate and have been appalled at the loss of life, so the political campaign on "bathrooms" I thought might not have much real impact on the greater problem.

Now I'm not so sure at all. During this period I have read first person accounts of how this impacts people, not only here but also in various media outlets. Some of the stories contained things that, frankly I had never thought of. And I'm someone who isn't exactly hiding from unusual human behaviors and traits and in denial.

So in reading your comment, and taking into consideration a lot of things I've recently discovered, I realize that it is not nearly as obvious as it seems what gender identification random people on the street may have, nor what kinds of feelings they may have from historically ordinary interactions.

I'll bet a lot of open-minded, ordinary people, have found out things they never thought of, in these last couple of months.

#19 faustian1, Jun 7, 2016
  20. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I would really like to figure out how to us gender neutral language all the time unless someeone asked me to use other pronouns for them. Like, I have been misgendered, I have accidentally mis gendered people, it really sucks. And since there I no such thing as *looking trans* or *looking gender queer*, I can't guess by looking.

Even though im up in the air on some gender expression stuff, like, I have often gotten called sir despite my rather rediculous chest/waist/butt proportions and having hair hanging most of the way down my back. That felt shitty. Like, do i need to have sheer fabric clothing certain areas of my body so you can double check, waitress who is now getiing a very poor tip? Despite our bodies or clothes or vibes or whatever, people (including me) are dumb, add we get it wrong sometimes, and getting it wrong *really* hurts people. Yeah. Gotta practice being aware and changing my default.

Formal events, locations, people tend to be the more politically and culturally concervative events, locatioss, people. Wonder if thats the challenge in thsse setiings, why its so hard to find an "acceptable" vocab list.

#20 Katchoo, Jun 7, 2016