1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Symptom Catalog

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RyeTheDauphin, Jun 5, 2016.

1. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In an attempt to understand my gender identity issues better, and to ascertain whether I have dysphoria or not, and if so what types, I've started creating a catalog based on three types of dysphoria: physical (relating to the body), mental (how you see yourself) and social (how you want to be seen by others/how you feel they see you). For each category I have been making a list of symptoms that may prove I have that type of dysphoria, and evidence I don't, and my hope is that I'll be able to balance them out and see what they say about me.

I have a few questions about my idea:

1) Does it sound reasonable? Does it sound like a valid way to see if I am experiencing gender dysphoria?
    2) Are there any particular symptoms/signs from each category I should keep an eye out for or consider?
    3) Does the timeframe for these symptoms matter (since I only really started having dysphoria about 8 months ago, and up until about a month ago it fluctuated)?
    4) Is there anything else I could do to explore my gender identity further and attempt to come to my own conclusion about what my problems are and how they can be fixed?
    5) If I decide from this that I do have issues with gender dysphoria, what should the next step be?
    6) Am I completely overthinking all this? I'm reading back over this forum post and I'm wondering if I'm overthinking this and being too analytical and calculating...that's an unfortunate tendency of mine.

I hope this will help. I'm sick of feeling uncertain and unable to articulate what's wrong with me.
    Any advice or answers would be much appreciated. Thanks so much, as always. (&&&)

#1 RyeTheDauphin, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Yeah, I think it does. Especially since you seem to think like me. :wink: (I might try this out in fact haha!)
    2. I would make sure to pay attention to any feelings of discomfort. Even if you can't attatch words to why something feels wrong to you.
    3. Pretty sure it doesn't.. What's important is how you feel now. Not yesterday, not tomorrow, now.
    4. I'm don't know about that one. I mean, I'm sure there are, but I'm just as lost as you.
    5. Start changing things so you can feel more comfortable. If you can see a gender therapist.. Do it. If you feel ready to tell your family (assuming you haven't yet), do it.
    6. You might be, but I do it too, and I always say it's better to overthink than to under think <3

"I'm sick of feeling uncertain and unable to articulate what's wrong with me."

I can relate.. Hang in there :astonished: We'll both figure stuff out sooner or later.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) Yeah it sounds reasonable, actually might use this idea myself and keep track of whree dysphoria manifests throughout transition. Breaking it up into the 3 catagories is also clever.
    2) Body dysphoria: The aspects of you that are centred around your sex e.g. genitals and chest. Other things like height and hair may also play a part but it's sex characteristics that are the main parts to think about.
    Social: Pronouns are probably the main indicator because that's the main way to tell how others are perceiving you.
    Mental: This ones difficult. I'd suggest looking in a mirror and visualising what you want to see in 5 years etc. compare it to what you see now. Thinking about the future and imagining yourself in 5,10,20 years can help a whole lot.
    3) I mean dysphoria does fluctuate a whole lot. Some days are going to be better than others so don't think that because you haven't experienced dysphoria for a couple of days that it's magically gone away... it sucks like that. I'd give yourself some time to really figure yourself out, especially if there were never any signs that you might be trans in your childhood and you'd always felt comfortable and fine in your body before you started questioning.
    4) How they can be 'fixed' is basically explained below. Things I did when I was questioning was change my gender expression and start wearing more masculine clothes. I joined an online support groups for trans teens. Started binding. Looked up different names to try to find one that would suit me. This stage is pretty individual seeing as different people figure out their gender in different ways.
    5) I mean it's up to you. People often start to transition, usually socially first, by using a different name and pronouns and changing your gender expression to allow yourself to feel more comfortable. You may also want to do things like buy a binder, packer or STP, start shaving your face, stop shaving legs/armpits - obviously none of this is mandatory but they're just thinks to think about. Then you might want to think about medically transitioning. I'd try to find a gender therapist to talk it out with if you're really having trouble with things.
    6) It does seem like you're overthinking a little. If you become to focused on it then there's a chance you may talk yourself into being someone that you're not, which is where the danger lies. I understand that it can become the forefront of your life though. All I can say is, give it time. It took me 2 years of questioning and figuring myself out before I was sure and ready to start living as myself. You'll work it out eventually.

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think mental is who you compare yourself to and if it feels good or painful. Social is not always obvious, it can stick to subtleties like hair or free time activities, difficult to spot, can be confused with gender expression, and freely mixes with it and blurs with it. Because in fact this is a gender expectiation/role problem version turbo, when not a single or few things are a problem, but the whole thing is wrong. Physical is ... I dunno... if you behave insane about genitals, if you get anorexia to remove period/puberty effects, when you slouch to hide brests or try to bind it or cover up with clothes, when people mention to you you're flat, when you pretend you don't menstruate, think of getting the pill all the time, when you claim you won't ever get pregnant and are disgusted with this idea...

If you have issues with gender dysphoria, you should, unfortunately, explore this pain and see where it's coming from, and address the issue, probably by transitioning in some way.

Don't feel bad abou being "overanalytical", it's good to plan things ahead and not take rushed actions you later regret.

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) Yes! That sounds like a very good way to organize your thoughts and feelings and try to figure out whether or not you have dysphoria.
    2) Dysphoria can be experienced in so many different ways, so I can't really think of anything in particular to look out for. One thing to keep in mind is that dysphoria can present in ways other than clear discomfort, so look for underlying causes of less typical feelings that you think might be dysphoria.
    3) It's nice to be able to look into the past and recognize feelings that may have been dysphoria, but it's not vital. Even if you didn't have any dysphoria before 8 months ago, that doesn't cancel out or invalidate the dysphoria you (may) feel now.
    4) My advice is always to treat the discomfort and then find a label. A lot of people worry that they aren't "trans enough" for certain transition options, or they aren't the "right gender" for it. Without worrying about gender, if you are uncomfortable about your chest, bind; if you're uncomfortable with your pronouns, choose new ones. Make yourself comfortable, and then pick the word that describes how you feel or how you've transitioned. You will likely figure out a label along the way anyway.
    5) Same advice as #4: make yourself comfortable. Figure out what you need to do to relieve your dysphoria, and do it. If you need to prepare yourself mentally before coming out or transitioning, try finding a local support group or seeing a gender (or normal but lgbt-friendly) therapist.
    6) I agree with emerry. This is a perfectly fine time to overthink a bit. Gender and transition aren't great things to make rushed decisions about. It's good to make sure you're confident in what you feel. On the other hand, also make sure you're not stressing yourself out. For me, thinking through things methodically and carefully can be helpful, but if I'm getting too intense about it and it's stressing me out that I don't have a definitive answer, then it's more harmful than helpful. If that's the case, then it's good to take a step back, stop analyzing, and let yourself be uncertain for a while without letting yourself worry about it.