1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No one is surprised I am trans. (Update/rant)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ...No one that knows I'm trans now was surprised at all when they found out. XD I was so worried that I would have to like argue my case and people were going to deny it, but yeah. People actually think it is silly that I think they would be shocked. One of my childhood friends knows now and barely reacted, and I thought it would be especially strange for people I have known a long time since I wasn't masculine presenting until my mid teens.

Sooo yeah there isn't much stopping me from transitioning now (besides money). It all seems much less daunting and controversial when no one is surprised at all. I kinda feel like my trepidation was pointless. I almost cried when I told my sister, now I feel like an idiot lol. The only thing holding me back from beginning my transition was the reactions of others and no one cares so now I'm just really excited even though I've been terrified all year. I guess part of me is a little disappointed that no one understands that it is a big deal, but that is really a good thing! It makes it seem like less of a big deal to me.

Of course it is a big deal in a way, but I don't want it to be. That is not how I am. I am chill and feeling so self centered and melodramatic since I started really having dysphoria just doesn't feel like me. I have felt like a total stranger.

So yeah, things are looking up for me. I'm out to four people now. Now that four people know and reacted positively/not at all, the people I have left seem easier. I should be starting T in the next six months.

Feel free to share your experience with odd reactions from people.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember coming out to one of my friends during my junior year of high school after he sort of badgered me for almost a month to know why I was so distant and just gone most of the year.

I caved and came out to him at his place, and he was honestly more curious about what it meant to be pansexual than he did when I asked him if he had any questions about me being trans. I remember him telling me that it would be between us unless I told him it was cool to tell others and that I'm like a brother to him. That I didn't fully see coming, despite him being a pretty good ally in general.

3. Glowing Eyes

Great :eusa_danc

But why does it say "update/rant". I really don't see any ranting or anything to rant about.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be annoying when people don't see how big of a deal this is. I had some of the same issue. I came out to people and they all weready not in the least bit surprised. Some were curious, but that was about it. The worst reaction I had was from my gradmother, but that was because she thought I would make an ugly guy (I'm not sure why that matters?)

In my experience though, as you transition, people begin to notice how big of a deal this is. So, give it some time, I bet some will realize that what they said made you feel annoyed.

5. thepandaboss

Congrats! And that's actually really funny. See, I was a pretty femme presenting person in high school. But absolutely no one, except my mother, was shocked. I was that terrible of a woman, haha.

But joking aside, it's definitely a step in the right direction. Sounds like you have some support going forward. Coming out to other people should hopefully be a lot easier.

6. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are right, I meant it more like long and annoying XD

7. Pistachio

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Im so excited for you!

8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is good. Believe me, it is far better to have people open and unsurprised about it than otherwise. Fighting isn't as nice as it seems.

Regardless, I am glad for you. This is of course very important, and people will come around for you during the transition phase. It is a big deal, but not in a bad way, you know?

9. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome, dude! Congrats! I hope things move smoothly from here.

10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy to hear it went well :slight_smile:

11. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha yeah apparently I am a pretty terrible woman too. Every time I do something innocent like scratch myself under my pants, my fiancee says something like "how are you still trying to deny you are a dude?" XD

I am not really in denial any more though. Sometimes I just find little arguments against it.

#11 Rickystarr, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Excellent, I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

13. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds about like how I came out to my fiancee. I wouldn't have so soon if she wasn't so desperate to know what was wrong with me.

Also I told her she could tell people but she is like naw. My sister said she will tell some people for me though lol. The more she tells the less I have to. I still don't really like talking about it.

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2016 at 07:18 PM ----------

And thanks for all the support you guys! But I still have one hurdle: my mother. And everyone that knows basically said the same thing when they found out: "that makes sense! Have fun telling your mom, she is prolly gonna be a judgy bitch about it." Lol

14. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patrick, I am so proud of you. :slight_smile: So much. I will have to come back when I have more time to tell you how proud.

15. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ilu and your supportive comments <3

16. Kiran

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay for you.

I had some people tell me "finally". I had some people telling me "I wasn't showing any signs" from the people I talked about being transgender (in between) years before I came out as transsexual guy. That was the oddest. The funniest was seeing my friend (in the retirement age) suddenly stopped walking and "what did you say?" when I told her I'm transitioning. When we were parting she did use my proper name. :wink:

My friends are accepting, nobody is dropping out.

17. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright! So another update on this. I didn't feel the need to start another thread even though this one is like a week old.

So, as most of you probably know, I am relying on my sister to help me tell people I'm trans. I've been particularly concerned about my mom's possible reaction, but my sister told her a few hours ago and apparently even my own mother wasn't surprised. That is all she's told me so far, but I'm meeting my sister tomorrow for lunch and she is going to tell me more in person. I must say, I was really expecting my mom to have a negative reaction so this is quite a surprise. A big relief for sure because I don't want to have problems with her. I really hate awkward conversations. But is it wrong of me to have mixed feelings about all this? That no one is surprised? I am 99% certain I am trans at this point but it's like part of me still wants that plausible deniability. I was expecting at least one person to argue that reality and tell me no and tell me why it can't be true. I'm excited about transition and finally being seen as who I am, but I'm still terrified of the doctor's visits and the poking and prodding and the injections and blood tests and surgeries and just...discrimination and having a hard life. It is like I'm looking for an excuse to not transition even though I know it is what I need and an inevitability.

I'll post again tomorrow when I find out what she actually said, but I just had to get that out there. This is a strange feeling.

18. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another aspect of this: I have been telling myself and others that my mom would be my main obstacle in transitioning and now that as far as I know she is not too upset about it, that basically means it is time to start considering socially transitioning. I had this timeline in my head that said I would start socially transitioning by the end of the year if I'm lucky, and all that depended on my mom knowing. Well the year is only half way over and my mom knows, but I'm still no where near ready to transition. For God's sake, I only admitted it to myself a couple of months ago, though I know I've really known sooner. I still have some other people to tell, but jeez, everything feels like it is moving so fast now. And yet not fast enough because I've suspected I was trans low key, prolly close to 5 years now. I have been hiding this for so long I just want everything to happen now, but in reality I am not mentally prepared for it yet.

#18 Rickystarr, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  19. Christine

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well patrick, I know how you feel. Is there anything I can do for you?

20. thepandaboss

All about little steps, man. It definitely feels pretty fast at first. When I first really admitted it to myself and decided I wanted to actually transition, which probably had to be about May 2013, I was binding, packing, and wearing masculine clothing part-time by August. When you know, it's hard to hold back. But regardless of whether you start going part-time or socially transitioning now or later, just depends on what you're comfortable with. Give it time if you need to. You don't have to rush if you're not ready to.