1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda confused?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Haleth, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Haleth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not quite sure what gender I am; maybe some of you can help me find a word, if it's not too much trouble?

As of now, I call myself "female," but ever since I was little, I've wanted to cut my hair and join Boy Scouts with my brothers, I've hated anything that might be "girly" and wished I had been born a boy, and I've recently realized that I do not at all enjoy having a female body. I tried out a chest binder recently and loved it because I looked so much less like a girl. I'm still trying to convince my parents to let me get my hair cut short; I really don't like it the way it is. The problem is, I don't know how much of this is just me disliking the stereotypes that surround women, like wearing pink and liking fashion and "girly" stuff, and wanting to get away from all of that.

I've tried looking on a lot of websites that have definitions of different gender-related terms, but nothing seems to help, mostly because I'm paranoid about my definitions of "male" and "female" and whether I'm basing them too much on stereotypes. I guess my real question is probably more "what do those words really mean and how do I tell whether I'm one of them?" So, yeah, if anyone can help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it.

- Haleth

2. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Based on what you've told me, you could be trans. I just want to tell you that you don't exactly have to be either a male or a female. There's a ton of stuff in between those two. You don't have to be super masculine if you're a guy or super feminine if you're a girl.

Would you enjoy not being referred to as a female? If so, would you prefer being referred to as a male or something else ( some use the pronouns "they/them" )?

Tbh, I can't give you a good explanation on the difference between female and male. The way I think is, everyone is a human being and whatever the gender they have, it doesn't define them. It's not important. Because the personality counts more than anything. It's okay if you think a lot about genders, because I do too. And so does a lot of people. And I hate how society base genders on stereotypes. That makes it way harder for us to adapt.

In the end, you gotta find what's comfortable for you. If you do like being called a female, then that's what you are, despite your masculinity.

Hope this helped a bit, and I wish you good luck! ^^

3. Haleth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you; it took me a little while to calm down and stop freaking out and doing a lot of terrified googling. That aside, though, I feel a lot more comfortable with who I am, even though I still don't know exactly who that is. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this, and have a lovely day!