1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The trans spectrum

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by YeahpIdk, Jun 9, 2016.

1. YeahpIdk

Hey!

So, if anyone follows Ingrid Nilsen on YouTube, you'll know that she came out a year ago to fans as being gay. Today, she announced that she's dating someone new (after Hannah Hart). This someone new happens to identify as a trans man. Even though they identify this way, it seems like they're still keeping some of their feminine features physically, and characteristically. Under most of their instagram pictures, there's #trans #xxboy (anyone know what this means?) #selfmadeboy or something similar, but at the top of their instagram, it looks like their preferred pronouns are she/her.

My question is...how wide is the spectrum for trans people? I'm asking because I think she's really beautiful, and I'd most likely be attracted to someone who presented as she does because she looks feminine and seems to be keeping most of her biological features, but is mostly androgynous - which I think is super hot(!). I'm kind of wondering why she doesn't just identify as genderfluid/genderqueer; I guess those have their own definition.

I'm mostly wanting this information so I am not ignorant about it, especially incase I ever meet someone who is like this and I fall for them. I don't want to say something dumb or potentially hurtful.

2. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    #xxboy is the chromosomes xx, as opposed to xy. IMHO, the spectrum is pretty wide, but it depends on who you ask. There are some trans folk out there who are pretty rigid in their thinking of who is trans, basically becoming the trans-police but I don't pay them any mind.

Just my 2ยข

3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like me! Almost...

The thing is... gender expression and gender identity are two different things. Pronouns are expression. Body is expression.

I understand how it might be confusing, it confused the hell out of me that I feel male, and want to dress androgynous, and simply like my body the way it is. I think I would prefer to be called he though, if that wasn't much of a deal.

I don't know how it is to be genderfluid, but I guess your sense of self, how/with whom/what, you identify with - changes. Genderqueer - would mean your sense of self, belonging, is e.g. neither, both, fluid... It's down to how you see yourself, to quote someone else.

Cheers :slight_smile: I hope I made sense. Ask more if you want to, I'll happily anwser.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How big is the Trans spectrum? how big is the sky. haha just kidding, sort of. it's pretty big and encompasses every one who is not cis.

that's my take on it anyway.

---------- Post added 10th Jun 2016 at 11:04 AM ----------

I'm BI Gender (m/f) and its fluid so it shifts sometimes back and forth quickly and sometimes it is only every day or two, sometimes longer. I don't know if I would or can do any 'real' interventions like HRT or Surgery but that doesn't make me less trans.

5. YeahpIdk

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. :slight_smile: Yeah, it's really interesting to me that someone is keeping to their biological nature, mostly, but also identifies as trans. That's why I'm glad I'm asking. My understanding of someone being trans is a little black and white: born male, is actually a female, strives to fit into their actual gender.

Here it is! This is something I was coming to understand when really thinking about it. It's a little hard for me to fully grasp because I'm born female, and have always felt female. Sometimes I don't like to totally and completely identify that way, but I think it's more about the ideas placed on my gender that annoy me to be labeled as such. Gender is so subjective anyway. I never feel "male," I just sometimes wouldn't mind being genderless in a way...can't really explain that better right now, lol. :slight_smile: But I'm fem and present myself as such because it's who I am.

Thanks for your input! That really helped me to understand better: expression v. identity.

:slight_smile: lol. I always just think of Ruby Rose and how she identifies pretty genderfluid/bigender. Most days she feels like a guy, but presents pretty feminine. SO HOT.

Is it weird that I'm super attracted to that? It's like the best of both worlds, haha.

Thanks everyone for the replies!!

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think it's very much a spectrum, yes. There are at least 50 shades of grey, so to say.

On the far end of the binary, you have the Jazz Jennings - the ones who 'know', like, at conception, and who are very stereotypically the 'opposite gender'. On the other hand, you have those who are borderline cis but they don't really see themselves as male/female, so they rather not call themselves that, but might not be so bothered by pronouns/gendering that they need to ask people to call them by a different pronoun or so.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. YeahpIdk

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Daydreamer, haha, love that pic. That's true for literally everything in the world. If only people could acknowledge it!!

:slight_smile: