1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binding pain vs dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jaska, Jun 9, 2016.

1. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the last couple of weeks I've been getting really bad back and shoulder pain from binding. I should also say that I always keep my binder tugged down as far as possible and then wear a really tight belt to keep it on place. I do it because it makes me look flatter, but the more I pull it down, the more I slouch and my shoulders really hurt. And when I walk to school I get really bad pain in the lower part of my back, even though my bag is hardly ever heavy and it's a side sling one. I've had to go home every day this week because the pain has gotten too bad and I get upset because I'm torn between trying to balance safe binding and managing the emotional pains. I really need help with this because it's stopping me from doing almost everything I need to. If anyone has any advice I would very very much appreciate it :slight_smile:

#1 jaska, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That sounds really bad if it is affecting your every day life. I can't really give you much advice except to say that is not good and you should try to minimize that even if it makes you look a bit flatter. Maybe just do that when you are around certain people...sorry man, I know it is tough to balance dysphoria and your physical wellbeing.

#2 Rickystarr, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  3. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's ok, thanks for the reply though, it means a lot just to say it to people who understand. At least more than my mum, I guess. I know in my logical head though, that there isn't really a solution that will fix it, it's only gonna be combination of small things I might be able to do, until I can hopefully get surgery. Thanks Ricky :slight_smile:

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks :slight_smile: you really should go easy though. But I do understand. I know very well that right now dysphoria is the most important thing in the world. But you don't want to cause yourself permanent heatlh problems when you might be able to have top surgery a few years from now do you? You may even be able to minimize your problems in less time than that if you can get on T.

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not what you want to hear but I think you should compromise a little. I mean not to bind too heavy (which unfortunately will make you a little less flat) and compensate that by wearing more layers e.g. an undershirt and a button up; also clothes with more irregular patterns might work better (at least for me they do). Other option is not to bind for that long if that's possible. Sorry I couldn't help much. (*hug*)

6. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm having this problem at the moment. What with it being hot and not being able to layer with jackets I can't take off my binder when I'm around other people so I'm wearing it from 7am-11pm and my shoulders have been in so much pain recently. Taking the time to do stretches after you bind can help loosen them up, there are specific videos of stretches for transguys/transmasculine people on YouTube. Also hot showers help a little. Other than that I think you need to just not bind when you can e.g. at home alone/around family if dysphoria isn't too bad. Sorry I don't have much help, winter is so much easier to deal with it.

#6 Aberrance, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  7. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a few jackets I can wear with out having to bind and I wear them as much as possible because it's such a relief. Especially to be able to do stuff like go climb a tree, or do some handstands, which are not things I can do in a binder. The only problem with layering, though, is that I get hot flushes about every hour from taking the hormone blockers (doc said it was the blockers causing it but I think it could be the dysphoria). So if that happens and I'm wearing too many layers, I get really hot and nauseous really fast and then I have to take off as many layers as possible until it passes. But I'm hoping that if I start t then they might start to stop as the blockers gradually get replaced by the T. But in the meantime I'll try to ease up a bit more and maybe look at getting a bigger size binder. Thanks for the advice guys, it really does mean a lot :kiss:

8. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know someone who wears an oversized denim vest over his clothes when he can't bind. It has no sleeves so it's good for summer.