1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afraid to ask my parents for a haircut

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Elam, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Elam

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm still in the closet, and I have already made a thread asking about coming out. This is similar in a way, but different. I want to cut my hair, or more like, go to a hairdressers and get it cut. The only problem is I'm still in a closet. I want to take coming out slowly, and at the moment I can look at myself in the mirror and say "I'm a man." However, I still have long hair. What should I tell them? If they ask why I want it cut, what should I say? I don't want to mention I'm transgender.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just go to the store and say you want a ''men's style cut'' or bring a picture of a celebrity that's got a similar style to what you want. If they ask you why just say something on the lines of "wanted a change" and I don't think that would invite further questions since it's casual.

3. mirkku

Well, it's fairly common for people to want to change style before the summer, or before the school year starts. Using these excuses should not bring up much suspicion. :slight_smile:
    You can also start by cutting them short, but still somewhat "feminine", so your parents would not freak out. Some short cuts will "pass" more than the other. A quick research online can provide you with pictures of women with short hair (obvious choices: Emma Watson, Shaylene Woodley...), which you can show to your parents to prove that it can look great on women too.

So wish to try out a new style + role models might do as a combo! :slight_smile: I hope you'll get your wish~

4. vertical

vertical Guest

When I first got my hair cut I was still closeted...my excuse was that short hair is easier to deal with, you could try using that excuse too maybe?

#4 vertical, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
  5. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Some explanation you could use may be that it's easier to deal with, long hair is too hot in the summer, or you think it would look good on you. Or just say "because I want it short" and leave it at that.

If you think it's necessary you can also point out that lots of girls have short hair and list some celebrities. I mentioned Emma Watson, Audrey Hepburn and the girl who plays Penny on Big Bang Theory as my parents are familiar with all three. They are the type to think "all women should have long hair," and this helped to calm them down a bit.

It's up to you what will work best in terms of your parents or other friends/family. Mine still are not pleased but have accepted that it's far too late to go back, and have seen I am much happier with a short cut.

As far as the hairdresser, mine was just like 'Wow, are you sure? It's a big change!' She seemed mostly worried I would blame her if I didn't like it, which of course wasn't a problem. As suggested above, I would bring in pictures of short haircuts you like to use as a reference point. I printed out a couple photos of girls as well as more androgynous models, told my parents I preferred the girls' styles and then told the hairdresser I preferred the more androgynous/masculine looks.

6. TinyBumblebee

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tell them you get overheated in the summer and you want to try having short hair to see if it helps. Maybe say you saw Emma Watson (or another celebrity) and you wanted to copy them. If neither of these work, say you just want to try something super different and see how it goes. :slight_smile: I used these excuses when I was trying to persuade my mum, I'm getting my hair cut in July! I hope this helps you!

7. Irisviel

Pick a straight cis female role model and insist they look cool, someone who is a respectable person (in mainstream view).

8. Reggie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My FTM child used to have long hair, and decided they just wanted a different style. They already knew, but they weren't comfortable telling us yet.

Speaking as a parent, I didn't take having a shorter hairstyle as any sort of sign. They kept long hair through dance recital, and then cut it shorter. Seemed to make logical sense to me...just in time for summer.

9. kobra kid

I felt the exact same when I got my hair cut. Adding the usual anxiety of asking for things to doing something to feel better about gender can be very scary. I'll go ahead and say that my parents didn't react well (especially my dad) but that they got over it quickly and learned their lesson about passing judgment on my hair and refrained from commenting after that. Plenty of cis girls get pixie cuts, so I doubt they'd jump to the conclusion that you're trans. Tell them that it's your hair and that it grows back if they get upset, even if you don't intend on having it grow back. Hopefully if they're mean you can get all teary and guilt them into being nice about it, that's what I did lol

10. TurquoiseTongue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I currently have a haricut that isn't quite a men's cut, but is still short. It's like a longer pixie cut. Ideally, I would have it shorter, but I'm not quite yet an adult. You could get a haircut similar to what I just described, and then gradually work your way towards making it shorter. Even if it's not what you want, just chopping most of your hair off will make you feel better. I wouldn't worry about coming out to them just yet.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's what happened for me too. My bullshit reason for my mom was that short hair was easier to manage and not a hassle to maintain, and the person at the salon who I've known since I was little had the same reaction about going from past shoulder length hair to 2006/7 Gerard Way era short.

But yeah, it's all up to you my friend. I've never gone back after going mega short almost three years ago, and it was one of the better choices I've made in a long time.

12. himalaya

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I did that a few month ago :
    I told them I had enough of my long hair and wanted a change. Long hair takes time and is difficult to deal with.
    I would recommend to know precisely what haircut you want before you ask them. Try to get your inspiration from female models or celebrities so that you can show them how it can be "stylish" and still "feminine" (if they ask).
    Hope I've helped !

#12 himalaya, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  13. coolb

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm actually really afraid too and like I want to get a haircut that won't look very feminine, but also it's summer and it's getting hot and my hair strangles me so you'd think it'd be easier for me to ask since I wouldn't even need to lie about why, I'd just have to leave out the main detail, and I know my parents would be fine with it, but I'm struggling a lot with just asking them, because I'm not good at asking my parents for things, I'm just going to keep telling myself to do it until I can.

Right now I can actually feel my hair on/around my neck and it's really bothering me, so long hair just being generally hot and uncomfortable, especially in the summer, is a legitimate reason.

14. DeguOwner

My younger sister recently got a short masculine haircut (she's Cis), she told my parents that it was hard taking care of long hair, and that it was always getting in her face. Hope I helped.

15. Secondrate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, all kinds of hair cuts are so commonplace today that no one should really be that inquisitive about your decision. You can offer any of the explanations above, or you could even just tell them that you wanted to, thought it would draw more attention to your face and not your hair. Just don't be scared, eveythting will go well as long as you have the will to do so. :slight_smile:

16. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember the first time I went in to get my hair cut shorter. I was with my mom and looking in one of those hairstyle magazines at the place and showed her the one I wanted, on a female model, and she persuaded me to get it a bit longer than that, but the hairdresser said it'd work better shorter with my hair type so I ended up getting it how I wanted :grin:
    Idk if this story will help at all, I hope it will :slight_smile: