1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't handle running this trans support group

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by thepandaboss, Jun 15, 2016.

1. thepandaboss

We don't have a lot of LGBT resources in my town. Until pretty recently, most people were forced to drive up to an hour out of town in order to find doctors, support groups, and resource centers in cities like Portland and Corvallis.

So until very recently (like last year), the only thing my town had was this trans support group, which used to meet every Sunday at a coffee shop. It actually started around the time I first figured everything out, which was around 2013, and in a town where we had virtually nothing, the group was a lifesaver for dozens of local trans people in the town.

In short though, the original leader couldn't keep up with hosting all the meetings on her own, there was member drama (and lordy was there ever) and eventually, the original leader foisted the group off to me, making me the new leader.

I was pretty eager to take on the group at first. I have time on my hands, having the group was a huge lifesaver when I first came out, and I wanted to make the group as awesome as it was when it first began.

But now... I'm really not sure how to handle it. I've been trying to find other people to help me host meetings once in a while but not having a lot of luck finding people who really have the time to do it.

And then my members have been clamoring for individual support groups for FTM guys and MTF women respectively, arguing over whether to make meetings for adults only or for all-ages (I'd prefer the former, we really don't have kid members except for kids some of the members bring around but the parents of the kids get really, really, really angry at the idea of meetings not being "all ages" friendly even though there's never really been anything for kids to do at the meetings).

Plus, I really hate to say it but I really don't like a lot of the members. Many of them lash out all the time at other members, don't contribute to discussions, and some of the members are incredibly, incredibly self-centered. In fact, they've even driven away potential members and because they're involved, it's hard for the group to even feel inclusive or supportive.

Like one woman, just hours after the Pulse shooting, posted like 3 selfies of herself to our group's Facebook group, with this as the caption: "I'm having a wonderful day today, #nomakeup. Hope everyone else is having a good day."

And if it weren't for some of the problematic members, I'd actually like hosting the meetings. But I can't play babysitter and conflict manager for people almost two decades older than me (for reference...I'm 21).

But even then, I wouldn't have the time to host every single meeting (the members want meetings every Sunday plus Wednesday meetups plus in-town events). I'm going back to college in the fall full-time, going to still be working full-time. I also volunteer with other organizations, including a queer youth group.

I haven't even been leading this trans support group for a full month and I'm overwhelmed. Part of me, I'm gonna be honest, wants to step away. But I also don't want a group that helped me and dozens of other people out to just die, which it will if I either can't find someone else to take over or I just walk away. What do I do? I feel like I got handed a sinking ship...

#1 thepandaboss, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Pockettail

Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay so I honestly don't know what it's like to really be where you are since I've never really run a support group in my life. However a group has been foisted onto me, and I am still running it. It's not easy being a leader even if everyone tells you that you'd make a perfect leader or not.

So one of the first things I'm seeing is lack of disciple and set rule ups for engaging with other members. I'm not telling you to play mediator and start drama, but having a set of rules that everyone must respect and abide by so everyone can feel inclusive without the feel of persecution. Even EC has it's rules, this is a basic that has to be established and must be maintained. Rules are always up for tweaking as you go if it's absolutely necessary. This is only after my own personal experience with the group of 60+ people I manage and it's still an ever growing group and I have dealt with folks ranging from 12 to 60 years old. The only way those two are going to get along is if they follow basic rules. And regardless of age if someone breaks a rule they do need disciplined, it doesn't matter if you're 18 or 45, it sounds harsh and mean but if you mean what you say and follow through you can still keep your members but at the same time reduce drama. If they choose to leave because the of the rules meant to protect everyone, then it's their own choice.

Another thing I have is established moderators, but in your situation what you probably need is volunteers whom are willing to contribute to the group. Even if you end up being stuck scheduling a good thing you can do is try to make the tasks you wish another to take to appear small. For example I need a LOT of help running my group and need not only chat moderators but post moderators, judges, and member evaluation. Something I simply cannot do alone, so I separate the jobs, the ones who enjoy chatting whom I've personally observed to be level headed to be a chat mod since they are already there. And if drama arises I can be contacted to settle things if they cannot, this takes already a huge burden off my chest and means I don't need to watch the chats constantly to make sure folks are doing okay and that the group is active. But to translate this maybe instead of asking another person to lead try to find multiple folks to help you with small parts of the job to help YOU out so you can lead without the burden of "it's all on me."

I was really overwhelmed at first when my group suddenly lost it's leader and more or less everyone was at a loss because they just ran away and foisted duties to me. But I've learned over the course of the years how to better run this group. And people in real life need to work systematically as well.

If you can't handle being a leader then it's fine to say you can't, I would personally find someone from my own group and see if they're interested and try to make the job look fun and teach them about how the group works and how to do this job with as little stress to you. It's more or less grooming but it's more of a phase out and everyone can feel comfort in that method including yourself, use my above tips if you need to even.

Hopefully this is helpful because you really love this group but I can really see the stress it's putting on you. I really do hope things go well in the future!

#2 Pockettail, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I ran an in person transgender support group for 2 years. I was one of the founders. It can become very stressful. It's even more stressful when you are the only person really holding up the group. From the sounds of it, people may be willing to help more in smaller bits. I would try to delegate up some things and see if there are some people that would be willing to help you in smaller doses. This would help take some of the heat off of you at least.

I would also write up some ground rules for the group. A group really cannot function without basic written rules. You also have to remember that no matter what, you cannot please everybody. This is something that is really important to remember while running a group. There will be people that get mad, but that is on them.

The biggest thing that this group needs to realize is that it is a group effort. It is not a job that one person can do.

Also, please remember to take care of yourself. It is hard to run a group by yourself, so take some time as you need to in order to take care of yourself.