1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Referrals for surgery

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kelp Krunch, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Kelp Krunch

I'm trans and will have been full time for a year at the end of this summer. I've been looking into getting surgery, and realized I need two letters from mental health professionals before consulting any doctors. I met with a therapist leading up to this point and have one referral down, but every new therapist I've contacted says they want to meet for a year before being able to refer me to surgery. It's frustrating because I feel as if I'm ready, physically and mentally, I don't feel like counseling sessions for a year would be helpful at all (I barely had anything to talk about with my current therapist after I started going full time), not to mention it'd be a huge money drain.

Is it supposed to be like this? Was I supposed to be seeing multiple therapists early on so I can avoid this? Is there no one who, after a session or two can deem me ready for surgery (with my medical records and prior experiences spelled out to them of course)? I had hopes of getting the actual surgery in relatively soon, but now I don't think I can even consult with a doctor for at least another year.