1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Ever Feel...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Invidia, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    ... like a plastic bag?
    Nah, just kidding. What I meant was if you ever feel kind of cheated about your gender identity? I mean, I feel that at the same time as I don't feel gender is supposed to 'matter' very much, that 'not supposed to matter' is reliant on that gender, for most people, is just so obvious. From a very, very, very, very, very optimistic point of view, I guess I could say that the whole trans thing is a unique experience that teaches you about life. Well, sure, that's true. But really, I think for most trans people, predominantly their being trans brings a lot more pain than anything positive. I kind of feel like... most people just got the gender they instinctively wanted without paying anything in return or having to ask for it. And I think 'why me?' That's probably self-obsessed, but aren't we all.

2. AmyBee

Well, there are a lot of times when I really enjoy being trans. Sometimes I feel like, "Wow, you've really put up with a lot and you're still swinging." I like thinking back on being AMAB but still wearing girl clothes because I wanted to and they felt right no matter what. And having this "outsider" feeling. I was telling my partner just yesterday I've always been different. My mom used to tell me that even when I was a kid, but in kind of an admiring way, "You are different."

On the other hand, there are a number of times when it's painful. That I feel currently obligated to present as male (even though I make up for it to a certain extent by being so open about other things related to my being trans or simply a woman). That sometimes my partner will tell me I don't understand certain things when I mostly DO understand them. When I was younger I hated my body for being too girlish. Now things trigger me and I look at it as not being womanly enough. Sometimes I ache for experiences my friends had I didn't. I know gender experiences aren't universal but some are more common for women and I only got to experience them vicariously, even the ones that can be scarring or damaging. I've always craved them all. Sometimes I really, really, really ache for a sense of belonging and sisterhood and just being.

I'm sure everyone whatever their identity goes through these things to a certain extent, but I feel my trans being has amplified them and altered them. So sometimes I feel I get strength from that but sometimes that strength is building scar tissue against pain.

So yeah, I tend to view it optimistically but at the same time I kind of feel... well... shortchanged in a way, too. My way. But still it's a nagging thing I'm constantly aware of. Like always finding that scar on my hand where I got stitches.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course, I'm sure we all do. But I try to look at it in a positive light. Or maybe more fatalistic. I like to think maybe I was a misogynist in a past life so I was born again female to show me how the other side lives. Not saying it is like a punishment (that sounds kinda fucked up lol), but sometimes it is comforting to think everything happens for a reason. I was born trans, which sucks in a lot of ways, but it also gives me access to multiple viewpoints first hand and has helped make me a more empathetic person than I would probably be otherwise.

#3 Rickystarr, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016