1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TurquoiseTongue, Jun 19, 2016.

1. TurquoiseTongue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When I was a child, around when I began puberty(ages 9-11), I was what is considered a tomboy. Similar to the experiences of many transgender people, that was the time I began to feel uncomfortable about my body. I was terrified of having breasts, and I would punch and scratch them until they bruised in the hopes that would prevent them from growing in. I would do the same with my hips. I struggled with the feeling that being female/female gender roles were forced upon me. I also felt very uncomfortable with the boyish parts of my personality, since I felt like I was breaking some social contract. In addition, I developed a whithering fear of pregnancy, since it meant to me that my biology as a female was meant for having children.(Ironically, I thought having periods was pretty cool.)

When I was around the age of eleven, I developed a minor earting dysorder acompanied by body dysmorphia. As is typical, it was out of the desire to conform to female standards of beauty. This lasted brutally for about a year, which is when I got into the goth subculture (actual goth, with The Cure and Bauhaus and Joy Division). This helped pull me out of my rut, and is also when I began to wear large amount of skirts and dresses. I got into make up, and became relatively feminine and comfortable whith my female body. I also discovered my love of menswear, and fixated on the idea of being a dandy of sorts. This trend of wearing skirts and dresses, but also liking menswear continued until about seven months ago. I recently got my hair cut short, and have begun to weat androgynous clothing again. I feel more comfortable with myself than ever before. Also, from the age 15, which is when I first found out about genderqueer, and on, I have wanted to purchase a binder so I can look more androgynous in clothing. The idea of having big boobs terrifires me, and I would definitely consider having breast reduction surgery if I become uncomfortable with their size.

So, I want to know what others think. Does it sound like I was suffering from gender dysphoria, despite the fact that those feelings largely went away? I feel most comfortable when I envision myself as being physically androgynous/ gender nuetral, so that fits into the context of my affliction pretty well.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You may be nonbinary, genderfluid or something else. You should get a binder and see how it maked you feel. :icon_bigg

3. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that could've been dysphoria. I remember hating my curves as well, even before I knew I was trans.

4. AaronV

I can relate to some of the things you said. I presented pretty feminine for a couple of years and I knew that I looked good, objectively speaking, I just didn't feel like myself. Once I discovered I was trans and dressed more masculine I felt way more comfortable.
    I agree with Patrick, buy a binder and see how you feel. Take small steps and examine your reactions and see if you want to take things further.