1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airport Security

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by H20, Jun 23, 2016.

1. H20

H20

In a few weeks I'm going to be traveling by plane and this is only my second plane ride in my life, but my first time as a transitioning trans person. I'm worried about it because I've been getting conflicting answers on how it goes and what I should do to get through security easier. As someone who wears a binder and packs every day, and has major anxiety issues, I can't stop stressing about it, especially because I'm going to be traveling alone. Any advice on how to go through security? What should I do or be prepared for?

2. What If

Out Status:
    A few people
    The main problem I have when I fly sometimes is when walking through the body scanner they will put male and my bra wire comes up on the screen (I dont normal bind when flying). When this happens I have to tell them its my bra and they will either rescan me or send me on my way.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I were you I would bind but not pack. My main binder has no metal on it and I don't think that would bother any one.

4. H20

H20

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Although I feel like I should also mention my concern is that my breast binder could be read as an anomaly through the scanner. The metal detector wouldn't be a problem, but the scanner would be; and I'm worried about having to out myself since the closest airport I have to go to is in Orlando and it has had a few known bad incidents with dealing with transgender travelers.

My dysphoria has been really bad lately so the idea of wearing a bra through security is so distressing that I've actually spent hours crying just thinking about it.

I suppose I could go through security with a bra on then change once I get to the waiting area. However, my issue with that would be I'm traveling alone and I don't know what I would do with my carry on (am I allowed to take that in the bathroom?) My other concern is with this plan is that then I'd have to do into the women's bathroom and because of where I live people can either be super cool about my being trans or completely horrific, I avoid public bathrooms. The idea of using a woman's bathroom is degrading, and using the men's (especially wearing a bra) is a big no and potentially dangerous.

Can anyone help?

5. thepandaboss

I bind and pack through security all the time. As long as you're willing to pass as male, I've always done okay. I wear a basic packer though, don't know if a 2/3in-one would pass with a scanner.

6. Katchoo

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There was a thread on this a couple week ago.... Maybe I can find it?