1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you define or describe your gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alder, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For some of us, it can be rather simple, in a sentence or a word. For others it might not be as straightforward, and we might wish we had more opportunity to explain more than with a simple word or with a tick of a box.

So, if you had a chance to sit down and talk about it, how would you define or describe your gender, your gender expression, identity, experience?

(E.g., you identify as a girl, but not fully, and you have a more androgynous or fluid gender expression, or you identify as a trans guy but you have a more feminine gender expression and a more non conventional childhood gender wise...etc)

#1 Alder, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a pretty gender neutral guy. Not super manly, but certainly not feminine. Basically my expression is androgynous but my identity is male.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I identify as female or a demigirl, but I don't have much sense of gender, if any. I guess I'm mostly agender.

I experience dysphoria, mostly social but some physical as well. I think a lot of it resulted from gender roles and expectations, however, so I'm not sure what it counts for.

I'm outwardly feminine in appearance, but the way I think and act is often more masculine. People have said that I am more like a boy than a girl or even tried to tell me that I am a boy. I don't consider myself male, but I would agree that I am probably more male-brained, which might explain why I feel separate from girls.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a lot like Patrick, although I think I fluctuate more in expression because at times I can be significantly feminine. On average, I'm pretty androgynous in terms of what I wear, how I act, etc. but I'm pretty definitively male in terms of gender.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have some "feminine" interests, but never present feminine. I like to drink champagne with my sister and pretend we are on sex and the city. Though I've never watched it lol. I know a lot about seasonal color analysis. I can't change a tire and I'm scared of bugs. I know a lot about celebrities. I do a lot of hair primping. I like to help my fiancee pick out clothes. I like to smell candles lol.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Due to how I was raise I am, to a small degree, is female but for the most part I am a neutral male who has a desire to look more masculine than I currently do.

So mix of androgynous and male with rare fem flares

7. randomconnorcon

I say male when I know people won't ask or don't wanna hear the full explanation, simply because that's how I want to look physically so it's the easiest way to explain.

Expression-wise, I'm okay with wearing female or unisex looking t-shirts, jeans, shorts, etc, from the women's section, but I prefer the men's section. I mostly wear clothes from the women's section because I had them before I came out. I wouldn't turn away from black nail varnish and eye liner, but that's more a "goth/punk phase" I never left. I don't wear them often, though. I fanboy over celebrities and gush about animals, but I'm also quite happy to watch sport with a few beers - I love football/soccer, basketball, baseball, sometimes rugby. I can only really play football, though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Video games are my life, especially story-based games (call it the writer in me). I won't turn down a rom com. I don't consider any of these to be masculine or feminine.

Inside, I guess the simplest way of describing my gender is mostly agender with a chunk of male who wants hormones to look physically male. But it's not always that simple; sometimes I get days where I just feel like, yeah, I'm definitely male and sometimes I'm not sure what I'm feeling at all. I just know it's not female.

8. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like a tsunami of emotions, distinctive by color. All splashing on a canvas; converging on interests, diverging on problems, and emerging with enlightenment. The image blossoming into a flower, the petals at the top magnificent, the petals at the bottom wilted and fading. Clear blue surrounding the flower with understanding and acceptance. The soft flicks of paint emphasizing emotion, and covering the wilted and scared petals. Soft music plays, a symphony of gregarious notion, but ever so soft as to down play the achievement. Melody swings and sways, balancing on a razor chord; fluttering gently side to side. All meanings are redefined, all purpose chocked till understanding is formed. The deaf;blind the blind;deaf, all hate is inverted and all love is reflected. It is in this form of paradise I can form a body that truly is mine. It is there I know in the bright;shadows the beauty of my soul, the beauty of my body, the beauty of my mind. It is there I find myself in my truest form. Feminine, flamboyant, intricate, sophisticated,loving, understanding; all complex desires fulfilled in my female form. No lies, just harmony; a perfect equilibrium.

In my mind, all answers of conceived over time, and the answer to my gender was one of the first. A total female takeover >:3

#8 NoXsOrOs, Jun 24, 2016
  9. Synesthesia

edit: damn this post is long. You can probably skip the last couple of paragraphs where I just ramble on about my childhood lol.

I don't present too femininely really, I think I would present more femininely if I had a male body or a more masculine body. I'd describe my style as androgynous it's not really masculine usually (well not for a guy,) but not feminine.

Sometimes I have these moments where I feel pretty strongly I'm female, then there are times where that feeling is less strong, than times when I'm basically a guy.

Things like certain female pronouns would always bother me though and I felt the male ones just fit better. The only one I was OK with was she, though even then there have been times.. I tried to explain that away intellectually in the past, yet it was really just a visceral reaction.

At the same time I'm definitely female in part.. I feel this strong need to be binary for some reason, but I can't let go of the female part, so I'm trying to undo the engineering that makes me feel like less of a guy for having that part of my identity I guess. And I think it's an important part.

And I don't intend to transition I don't think (well I mean hormones/surgery,) I often wish I had a male body, with somewhat androgynous face, but I don't and I don't want to give up the female one?

My brain is basically an ongoing discussion like this :/ being pulled in different directions sometimes, and it's gotten worse overtime, but some days I can be content.

In terms of my interests and stuff I think they've been pretty 'balanced' for most of my life, maybe leaning somewhat more on the 'masculine' side since my teen years but hard to say.

Although as a younger child I was very girly - liked wearing dresses, danced around everywhere, played with barbies, favourite colour was pink, went through a phase of liking the spice girls lol. I don't remember that time well though myself since my memory is so bad generally.

I played with boys and girls at different times, so that had an impact on stuff I'd do. But I liked playing sports in school and was very active during mid-late childhood (I became less active as a teenager,) I still played with dolls till... I dunno when fairly late though, I liked climbing trees, playfighting with my brother sometimes, making up stories with teddy bears (had backstories for everyone like they had their own kingdoms and stuff,) reading, playing video games and swimming.

I loved water slides. Like we'd go on holiday and I'd spend most of my time in the pool. I wanted to be a mermaid as a child at one point too. My dad told me that when we'd go to the beach as toddlers my brother would sit around eating sand and they'd always have to hold me back from rushing into the sea, which seems to really fit both of us in a way. Actually my mum went into labour because I ran off into the road, bit of a hyperactive toddler..

#9 Synesthesia, Jun 24, 2016
  10. vertical

vertical Guest

Mine is pretty straight-forward, I'm just a guy.

11. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Male. Somewhat gentleman, somewhat badboy. Pretty manly though. Just the body doesn't fit :frowning2:

12. AxxeMyrmidon

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My gender is somewhere in between male and female.

13. DeguOwner

I would say that my gender is androgynous, but ever so slightly more feminine then masculine.

14. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The easiest way to put it is that I'm nearly a boy but not quite.
    On a line that went from 'female' to 'male' with the underneath being 'nothing', I'd be just over half way between female and male (nearer make) and half way between gender and nothing.
    I recently got my hair cut really short and I live in over large band t-shirts and jeans. I suppose you could say that my expression and interests are neutral-ish with my expression more masculine and my interests more feminine.

15. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I've come out to people, I've said this:

"I'm a mixture of bigender, in that I'm a boy *and* a girl, and genderfluid, in that I can also slide anywhere in between boy and girl."

I will write a more thorough answer later - it's a bit complicated and I'm still working some things out including whether I can legitimately claim the "trans" label. But that seems to be the definition which fits me best at the moment.

16. thepandaboss

I'm a man, gender expression is sorta what I'd call soft masculine, I guess? Like I couldn't give less of a shit about football or whatever but you wouldn't catch me dead in pink. Fairly masculine gender expression, I guess.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "best of all worlds"

18. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Quite girly girl, however, due to my past, I have a lot of male traits; in particular, I am in mind extremely cold a lot of the time.

19. AmyBee

I'm female. I'm sure I have a lot of guy traits, but so do a lot of cisgender women I'm friends with. Sometimes I'm more butch/tomboy, sometimes I'm really super girly-girl, but I'm always a woman.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a guy, and that's about it. I'm not hypermasculine, but I wouldn't say I'm a femme either. I guess somewhere in the middle. I honestly don't give two shits about gender norms, tropes or ideals and I just do what makes me happy.