1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with dealing with dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DeguOwner, Jun 24, 2016.

1. DeguOwner

I've been having a lot of dysphoria around my (I hate to use this word, but here it is) 'boobs' as well as menstruation. I'm not out yet, and my parents are slightly non-binary phobic (is that the right term?). I have heard them speak about how hey junk people who are non-binary (not including teams people) have a screw loose :bang: . This means that I can't get a binder, my mom is also very against anything that stops menstruation, thinking that it will hurt me so she's basically against any form of birth control that will 'mess me up'.

I just really need help dealing with dysphoria right now, anything that can make me feel better, or make the things that make me have dysphoria go away. :help:

2. vertical

vertical Guest

When I was still closeted I would bind using sports bras (sometimes wearing more than 1), and extra layers, so you could try that. Whenever I feel really dysphoric I try to distract myself with stuff like music or video games to try to take the focus off my dysphoria.

3. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If getting a binder isn't an option, I second the advice already given - use a sports bra, or two, if possible. I have a rather tight sports bra that actually works quite well on its own. Don't wear it for too long though, especially if you're layering two on top of each other.

I don't have a lot of advice for menstruation, unless you can safely get your hands on boxers / men's underwear without your parents noticing. Menstruation products can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable for me but I need to use them, so what I usually do is wear boxers over a pair of underwear; that way, I feel better, and I don't have to see a visible indication of any of those products if I take my trousers off. I have no idea if that made any sense whatsoever, but hope it at least offers a tip?

When dealing with dysphoria sometimes distraction works best though. Movies, TV shows, music - I'm a big fan of comedy because it helps me laugh and feel better, and distracts me in a positive way when the dysphoria isn't nice. Good luck (*hug*)

4. DeguOwner

Thank you! And yes, it does make sense. I have tried binding with a sports bra, but finding a non-padded one is a pain, any suggestions on where to get one?

5. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I bought mine from H&M, the sports bra/sports tops section. I got one of the smallest sizes there, it's quite tight but not too tight that it hurts my ribs. Since it's quite small and binds tightly I tend to not layer when it comes to using that one, because it could actually be dangerous if I do. But it works well, especially since it's non-padded. It's black, and it was quite cheap/not a professional kind. It seems the main/only two materials are polyester and elastane. So, if that helps at all :slight_smile:

I'll suggest giving sports stores such as Nike a try, or giving H&M a shot if you have one near you. Most sports stores should sell a non-padded one, then again, I rarely go to them. Just have a look around I think, nobody in any store will give you grief for that.

Depending on what colour shirts you wear, I would go for a colour that isn't neon yellow or pink or some colours that sports bras can be; grays/blacks/whites can be easier to hide and don't show through shirts. Even though you might want something really small, don't go for a super small size if it hurts your back or your ribs too much.

Good luck with it! I hope you find something that works (*hug*) Stay safe when binding as well.

#5 Alder, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  6. GenderSciFi

Also, I don't know if this helps at all, but if you hate the word, you don't have to call them that. The thingies. You can just call it a chest :slight_smile: At least on here, folks will know what you mean.

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true! If I'm talking about dysphoria specifically I just call it top dysphoria, or if I have to refer to them by name I tend to refer to them as my chest or something. People here know what you're talking about so don't worry :thumbsup:

8. DeguOwner

Thank you again! *runs to H&M*

9. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No problem, hope you find something that works!