1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

asking barber for haircut..good idea?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by lnamae, Jun 25, 2016.

1. lnamae

lnamae Guest

yO!

It's getting to that time again, when I need to get a haircut. I've searched a bit to try and find a reference pic I can take in when I get it done. But I can't really find anything that would suit my face, and isn't too short.

Would it be alright to just walk into a (lgbt friendly) local barber shop and ask for a gender neutral looking cut or something and just give them a length? I'm not really that fussed on the style, I just know I'm going to get a cute bob or something if I go to a hairdresser. (Cute bobs are great, I just don't want one :thumbsup:)

Do you think that would be alright? Too vague...?

:confused:

2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It could be alright, just stress the gender neutral part

3. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Yeah, will do. I'll probably even ask for a guys cut because if it's not really short anyway, it's probably going to look pretty neutral in any case... I guess...

4. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read your original post title as a question about this whole site... in other words, if you go to the barber and ask if you need a haircut, of course they are going to say 'yes'

5. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Hahaha! Well, yeah, that's their job :wink:

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family tends to go to a hairdresser who usually has female clients, but she'll cut my brothers and cousins hair as well. I showed her a picture of a guy with the hair style I wanted and she simply said okay and went to work. That has convinced me that hairdressers and barbers don't really care if you female/male/non-binary. They just want to give you what you want and get paid. If the barber is LGBT friendly then your request will not seem strange to them at all. The one thing I heat hairdressers/barbers say all the time is "its your hair".

7. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Yeah... I've gone to two different hairdressers before though and that hasn't been the case. I've showed them pictures of men with mens cuts but they just feminise it into a pixie or bob version of whatever it is. That's why I wanted to go to a barber. I probably had crap luck before though, for sure there are hairdressers out there who are like yours. I just thought a barber would be more inclined to do a guys cut or a neutral cut, because that's what they'd spend most of their day doing.