1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT interactions with mental illness/psych meds?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TrashNaCheapWig, Jun 28, 2016.

1. TrashNaCheapWig

Ok so, new here, hi. Ken. I'm a 17 year old trans guy and I have a long history with depression, anxiety, adhd, bipolar disorder, etc. and right now I'm on a combination of like 4 meds. I'm not 100% sure I want to do hrt for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I'm afraid of it fucking up my mental health. I've come a long way to reach the balance I'm at and I want to keep it up ya feel me. I realize I should talk to a doctor for specifics, but does anyone have any experience with taking testosterone while on psychiatric medication, or just while being ill in general? It would help, like, so much.

2. thepandaboss

I do have PTSD and anxiety, unfortunately no experience with ongoing meds. I'm a month on T though.

I'm personally finding that on T, it's making it a little easier for me to manage my crap, even though I'm under a lot of stress right now.

But really, I'd advise you to talk to your doc/psych. I personally don't see why you couldn't start T but, you also indicated you were hesitate. If you don't want to go on hormones, keep in mind there's nothing wrong with not going on them at all.

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I struggle with depression, anxiety, and BPD and I'm going on 17 months on T soon. I'm also on three meds to help me try to stay balanced, though my mental health has been bumpy. I know some people who have hesitated about starting their HRT path because this is a concern for them.

I recommend reaching out to your doctor about your fears, since they're reasonable. As the above stated, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to go on T either, and I don't see why you couldn't begin either if you want to. The only thing I was told that could hold me back was if my mental health was very unstable and I wasn't managing it.

For me, I don't feel that being on T has done anything negative to my mental health. If anything, I'm much better off since I was clearly unhappy before I started. Something I had to remind myself is that it's not a miracle drug that will make all the bad stuff go away, and that a lot of healing starts from within.

4. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have an interesting perspective on this as a cis guy.

Basically, doesn't HRT just alter your body's hormone balance to that of a cis guy? If so, and assuming the medication isn't one of those "for women only" drugs, I don't see how anything could get messed up by you starting HRT.

5. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even if you start it and you feel worse than before, you can stop hrt at any time as long as you talk to your doctor and haven't removed anything.

6. AaronV

I never took meds for my depression and anxiety, but T has helped me a lot. Of course you shouldn't see it as an antidepressant and like someone else already suggested, you should stay in close contact with the doctor who monitors your medication once and if you start T.
    I also have a friend who is also trans and takes medication for his depression and he didnt have any problems when he started HRT.