1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experimenting with being Trans later in life?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jjanon, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Jjanon

So I'm still soul searching but I want to solicit some advice a out beginning experimenting just in general later in life. Maybe later in life doesn't matter that much but thats my situation right now.

I have very few moments to myself so the idea of dressing up isn't feasiblr, nor have I been able to acquire any clothes or makeup or any other things I might want to play with. I'm very masculine at the moment and even if I wanted to start, I would have to radically transform myself to get to any sort of baseline (large broad frame, balding, very hairy, with a beard (safely none of the characteristics I really wish that I had)) I feel like I would need to do something very visible to even experiment which is something I'm definitely not ready for.

Anyone else experience this conundrum? How do you work through/around that?

2. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well for trying on/acquiring clothes, charity shops and second hand places are the best place to start. The clothes are cheap and no one cares what you buy - well I've found people in normal shops don't care ether but people in charity shops REALLY don't care. Accessories and things are often sold in charity shops too, or in normal shops (if you're uncomfortable) you could pretend that you're buying them for someone else and say that if anyone asks? At least then you might have some things you like to wear and that makes a lot of difference.
    Good luck anyway! ~ Seth

3. AmyBee

Well, I don't get to present female a whole lot these days so what I do is listen to certain kinds of musical artists, spend a lot of time learning about gender, read a lot of books on LGBTQIA topics and my fave fantasy genre, the gender change story. I also dress kind of unisex or androgynous a lot. I focus on all the stuff BESIDES the clothes. Although the clothes are super fun and expressing yourself that way is very liberating. Don't worry about your body size or any of that stuff or passing. Just find some things that are more on the "girl clothes" spectrum even if they're meant for guys as a start. Actually I eased into it that way myself!